1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Uconnect problem

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mikwil1312, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Apr 25, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    mikwil1312

mikwil1312 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I own a 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. I purchased it because of forums like this.
    I have always wanted a Jeep and seen the joy some people have had with them.
    If Jeeps have been driven on/off road as for so many years...what would a new one be like?
    After less than one and a half years of ownership and 40,000 miles, the Uconnect 5-inch Touch screen has malfunctioned.
    This device controls pretty much the whole inside electronics. Back up camera, heated seats, steering wheel, stereo, and etc.
    Although I don't want to be a Negative Nelly, and I still have a belief in the Jeep brand, I am not at all satisfied with this vehicle and service.
    The Grand Cherokee is the top of the Jeep chain. This showed the confidence I had with this product.
    The problem is that the 4 Chrysler dealerships that I visited claim that it is no longer under warranty!!!
    They tried to update the operating system but the device doesn't work.
    They gave me customer service numbers to call, so I did. But absolutely no help.
    After some research, and with local dealerships, I have concluded that there has been many reported issues like mine. But nothing has changed since about 2014.
    How can they produce electronic devices for so many years and not resolve this, concerns me!
    I sold a KIA Sorento to buy this Jeep.
    I think I made a huge mistake.
    If anyone has knowledge of this concern and willing to share it, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Keep your older Jeeps running and have fun!
    Just don't purchase new!

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Apr 25, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    Bob

Bob Well-Known Member Moderator

Member:
    Welcome! Sorry you're having issues.
    Details on how it's malfunctioning exactly?

3. Apr 25, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome! Too bad about the electronics but if its out of warranty and been checked out by the dealer(s) it may be time for some out-of-pocket replacement or upgrades.

4. Apr 25, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Which system do you have? I have the 430n U connect, and it has been trouble free, sans needing a map updates. I think Ive heard of issues with the 730n?

5. Apr 25, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    mikwil1312

Member:
    Thanks guys,
    Not sure of the exact version update that is currently installed.
    I will have to look into that but not sure at this time how to even check as the 5.0 UConnect will not properly boot up.
    It shows the screen with XM Serious Radio at first, then the backup camera will come on and not shut off. Even while driving forward.
    The stereo plays a random radio station, followed by a blue screen,similar to a Windows Vista issue. Then reboots automatically going through the same endless loop.
    This all happens and no buttons on either side will work.

6. Apr 25, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    You might try to reset it. I think you have to remove it to do the reset, but it could be worth a shot

7. Apr 25, 2018 at 6:45 PM
    mikwil1312

Member:
    Thanks Chris.
    I will try.
    So far the dealers disconnected the battery and let sit for a few minutes. Then reconnected to do a hard reboot.
    They also tried a system update to the UConnect.
    There are numerous reports online with people having some form of issues.
    Even on Chrysler’s website, they claim there is a problem.
    They seem to blame UConnects issue. While UConnect blames Serious radio has bugs that can possibly be streamed. ????
    That is my main concern.... if all these big money companies know of issues...and point fingers at each other. The people holding the hot potato (ie. The Jeep) are the victims and have to pay the price.
    (Time and money lost)
    If I bit the bullet, and spend another 1000 bucks on it...what are the chances that a potential virus can hit my new device.
    This was some of the comments I made with Jeep’s costumer service.

0E29529C-C767-4731-9B38-43E96FD90321.jpg

8. Apr 25, 2018 at 8:10 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    You would have to install a virus on a new unit. You cant just get one. If you have to get a new one, you should be able to get an OEM one that was removed from a Jeep shipped overseas. They pull the radios, and install new ones that are compatible with over sea stations. Have you tried press both the Mute and Browse/Scroll buttons together until the screen goes blank, and see if this helps?

To Top