1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the biggest tire I can put on stock wrangler wheels? Already lifted with 35's

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by boondoc89, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Aug 5, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Ok. I'm missing some thing here. I understand charts are just a reference. And I've looked at several. And aggrex, the one you posted has come the closest to what I'm looking at with my JK. And based on all the info I'm sucking up here. I should be running, in real time, faster than my speedo is showing me. But I'm running slower apparently. Well at least according to the "electronic signs" I was driving past. How often are they miscalibrated?

Obviously I'm new to this whole tire vs wheel vs gearing thing. And I just what to learn, figure out what's best for me. And my rig. :goingcrazy:

2. Aug 5, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    That's a question you use when you get speed-checked. Base on your statements the Superchip has recalibrated your JK+33" to near OEM standards. Theoretically the aggressive tread+tire weight increase should decrease MPGs some but your DD hwy crusing speeds must have the 3.6L in the sweet spot or your hypermiling. Either way...Happy Jeep=Happy owner

JKBob 25[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 5, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Ok....you got me again aggrex. Hyermilling???

Yeah...I guess I have my 3.6 penstar in its sweet spot. Well...near it anyway. But still doesn't explain why I'm running game 2 MPH less than what the street sign stated I'm running. Either way...it's all good.

4. Aug 6, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Not all tires are the same. Let's take one size and 2 brands. Size 35x12.50x17. Brand#1 actual diameter is 34.2 inches. Brand #2 actual diameter is 35.1 inches. Your computer doesn't know this and you just told it you are running 35s. There will actually be a 2-3 mph difference in the 2tires at 65mph.

5. Aug 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Ahh. I get it. So if I was able to recal. for 32.6 instead of 32.5. My speedo would most likely be right on. So because of the .10 difference. I'm actually running 2 MPH slower than what I actually am. I get it. That .10 makes that much of a difference.

6. Aug 6, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    You want to make it harder. New tires vs used tires especially thick threaded MTs can have well more than an inch difference from new to old. I think of my speedometer as an estimate in speed. It's why I slow down when passing a cop even if I'm doing the speed limit.

aggrex and JKBob 25 like this.
  7. Aug 6, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    :annoyed:. My OCD. I look for perfection. And my JK is not perfect. Lol. Now you want to taunt me with used tires vs new OFFGRID. AAAAHHHH. LOL. Tires have less than 5k on them. Looks like it's that 10th that is throwing my mph off. I'm a light footed driver. So it's all good.

8. Aug 6, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    JKBob.....you got to let it go! One sets the Pro Cal or Superchip with the basic information and run with it. There is variability in factors beyond manufacture specs, temperatures, psi, tread wear etc., its all relative (not absolute). In your case you may not be a speeder until you hit 67 in Jersey assuming their radar are calibrated..LoL

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    JKBob 25 likes this.
  9. Aug 6, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    :rofl::bowdown:. Cool...I get it.....Finally. LOL. Happy Jeep.....Happy Owner..... That's why I'm still here. Yeah, to much free time. Awesome members with a sense of humor. Welll......most of you here.Kidding of coarse. Awesome members here.

To Top