1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

02 Grand Cherokee no abs, blower, speedometer, cruise, turn signals.

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by HonkyKong75, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Dec 19, 2016 at 8:46 AM
    HonkyKong75

HonkyKong75 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 2wd
    None
    Went to the store last night and when I came out and fired my jeep back up the blower motor didn't come on with the heat and I noticed the ABS and BRAKE lights both on in the cluster. Figured I'd check it out at the house. Start driving and the turn signals, speedometer, and cruise control aren't working either. Checked the fuses under the dash and all are fine. Anybody have the solution?

2. Dec 19, 2016 at 10:44 AM
    jeepinghillbilly

jeepinghillbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    99 TJ locked/locked, 4" lift, 1" body lift, skids and more skids, geared 4.88s, super shorty sye, all Rockmen adjustable arms, D44 rear, D30 front, all disc brakes, AX15 manual 5 speed, waren winch, currie tie rod, a drop down tail gate and heater relays upgrade to keep my heater switch from melting lol, and lots more stuff. 79 CJ5 with 4.0 swap
    Cut your jeep on. Reach under the dash and start wiggling wires. If something happens look in the area of the wires you wiggled and see if theres a plug or bad wire or something of the sort. Sounds stupidly simple I know but it works. Other wise grab a meter and schematic and find where the power stops and you have found the problem.

HonkyKong75[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 20, 2016 at 7:15 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Have you had any luck? Hillbilly's wiggle test is what I would be doing too.

4. Dec 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM
    HonkyKong75

HonkyKong75 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 2wd
    None
    Well apparently I either have a short or just a weak connection. After I pulled ALL the fuses one by one to be sure I checked them all seeing as though I was there, I ended up having to fire it up to move it out of my wife's way and when I did so EVERYTHING was working again. I still went through wiggling each wire hoping to find a short but nothing ever showed. Will keep a close eye on it and a meter handy as I'm heading back out to today. Thanks for the help jeepinghillbilly and C2T. I'll post any further happenings as they come.

jeepinghillbilly likes this.
  5. Dec 21, 2016 at 7:01 AM
    jeepinghillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    99 TJ locked/locked, 4" lift, 1" body lift, skids and more skids, geared 4.88s, super shorty sye, all Rockmen adjustable arms, D44 rear, D30 front, all disc brakes, AX15 manual 5 speed, waren winch, currie tie rod, a drop down tail gate and heater relays upgrade to keep my heater switch from melting lol, and lots more stuff. 79 CJ5 with 4.0 swap
    Glad your on the right track. Yeah I agree with you that there's a loose wire or short. There is a big flat pin plug for the the cluster that controls the entire pod. I would check that next. Not sure about the ZJ but the TJ it is very very easy to pull the cluster pod out. You could have a problem in the pod itself. If you have a friend with a ZJ you could plug there pod in and see if it works. Not sure how much a meter is going to help here if you have power on and off here and there. Problem with a short is its like chasing uh Jakalope up hill. :goingcrazy: Keep us posted. :popcorn:

6. Dec 21, 2016 at 7:05 AM
    jeepinghillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    Oh, one other thing HK, find your dash ground or cluster related ground. Schematic will help big time here. Its a big possibility the screw/bolt came loose or rust broke connection.

7. Dec 22, 2016 at 7:29 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Glad you are on the right track...hope you find it soon.

To Top