1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1990 jeep 4.0 problems (Help please)

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by JeepLife0190, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Jan 31, 2017 at 5:26 PM
    JeepLife0190

JeepLife0190 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 limited, 90 rig
    Lifts, tires, wheels, etc
    Hi I have a 1990 Jeep cherokee with the inline 6 4.0. When i bought this jeep it didnt run whatso ever. I put a lot of time into it and got it running. Well it ran amazing but only for one day. Now it only cranks and idles when cold. When its up to temp it will not crank without a little starter fluid in the intake. It will idle at temp though. Also when i give it throttle it will choke itself out. It takes very little (barley enough to fit a piece of paper between the butterly valve in the intake.) ive replaced the following:
    Fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, MAP sensor, MAT sensor, ignition coil, plug wires and plugs, and ive checked the pcm for corrosion but all looked well and it still has the problem. Nothing is different other than the new parts since it ran amazing. Does anyone have a clue?

2. Feb 2, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    OleMissYJ

OleMissYJ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    89 Wrangler YJ
    Could be vacuume related or maybe even the distributor.

OFFGRID likes this.
  3. Feb 4, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Welcome to the forum

4. Feb 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    booger3399

booger3399 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1987 Jeep Cherokee 4.0
    Have you tried replacing the crank position sensor. Had to replace on mine when it started cutting off then wouldn't start at all.
    I have an 87 Cherokee with 276k on it. It has been a good vehicle but can be a pain when things start going wrong. I found a lot of help from these forums, though. It has saved me a lot of money and aggravation having this kind of help. I commend all backyard mechanics for taking the time to help.

5. Mar 12, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    Nickols33

Nickols33 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    92 xj 4.0 l6 stock pos
    rattle canned it primer grey(black rims) e3 spark plugs
    if it idles when cold and not when hot i would go the routin of your cooling sytem i had a really rough idle and rough starts i replaced evrything exept my raidiator which is on the list and it runs a millionm times better

6. Mar 14, 2017 at 6:56 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I read in the dealer service manual that the Jeep will run in closed loop mode bypassing all sensors until it reaches operating temperature then it switches to open loop and the computer takes over reading all sensors. It could be any one of them causing this. The IAC, TPS, Temp, map, O2, etc.

7. Mar 20, 2017 at 12:35 PM
    Davidbkills

Davidbkills New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    White 96Xj
    Dose anyone know why my 96 xj dash lights would go out iv changed all the bulbs and fuses

8. Mar 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.

Possibly a bad ground to the dash? I'm not too familiar with XJ electronics.

To Top