1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 lights and windows don't work until Jeep is driven a few miles

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by hoopcoachd, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Feb 5, 2023 at 5:24 AM
    hoopcoachd

hoopcoachd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2002 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
    2002 4.7 Cherokee: when the weather is cold the headlights and windows won't work until the Jeep is driven a few miles. I know xj's but new to wj's

2. Feb 5, 2023 at 6:22 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Start with the basics (20+yr vehicle). Corrosion on or within the wires, cables and connections should be verified as well as the integrated systems (CAN bus) that control them.

Bob likes this.
  3. Feb 5, 2023 at 12:26 PM
    hoopcoachd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    My question other than how hard it is going to be to check every wire in the harness running to and from the distribution center is why would cold temperature affect only the exterior lamps and electric windows? What is the common relay for both of these? I have a good 50A fuse for the lamps, that's all I really know. Thanks

4. Feb 27, 2023 at 12:52 PM
    hoopcoachd

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    Process of investigation and elimination: Lights flicker on and off after engine is on for about 7 minutes. takes 1-2 minutes for lights to fully function. Electric windows/locks, interior courtesy lights and all exterior lights -the same. However, instrument cluster, HVAC controls and radio ae lighted during this warm-up period. After 20-30 minutes of driving, the door chimes starts going off intermittently and when the chimes buzz, the headlights go off. Even more curious , even when the headlights won't come on, pulling the high beam switch/turn indicator, the high beams will come on. Relays are good BUT there is a clicking like a bad relay directly behind the center cluster of the dash...BCM!!! I've read to many horror stories about replacing the BCM - any other ideas?

5. Mar 1, 2023 at 10:11 AM
    tim2015jkur

tim2015jkur Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 JK Rubicon Hard Rock “The Shadow”
    4” AEV, 35” BFG KM, Rough Country stubby front bumper, 12,500 Apex winch, Iron Rock Off Road control arms and track bars, and much more
    Check all your grounds. The WJ is very sensitive to grounds. Don’t just do a visual inspection, disassemble the ground, clean, and reassemble. Also, check the visible end of he wires for green corrosion. I replaced all the power wires and grounds on my 2000 WJ with some made by a company in Nampa, Idaho (don’t have the info anymore, do a search for Jeep WJ charging system wires) made from 00 welding lead, and my volt meter went up, so there was a breakdown in the wires.

aggrex and JKBob 25 like this.
To Top