1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2005 grand cherokee engine swap problems

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Shawnwrestler, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Sep 11, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    Shawnwrestler

Shawnwrestler [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    So I recently replaced my blown up engine in my 05 grand cherokee with a used 4.7 from a durango. When I finished it went to start it and it wouldn't turn over. I managed to trick the engine into starting by turning the crank with and socket by hand a small amount and it started up. I turned it off to check the fluids and it wouldn't start again. So I turned the crank again to start it. I took it for a test drive and the engine was in limp mode, but it seemed to be running good. Could I need a computer from a durango to make it work?? Also I used the old wire harness not the one that came on the engine.

2. Sep 11, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome! Are there any engine codes being thrown?

3. Sep 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    Shawnwrestler

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    Yes there are. I haven't put a scanner to it yet. I don't want to drive it to the auto parts store, I found a guy that has one for sale. Just waiting for him to get back to me so I can pick it up.

4. Sep 14, 2016 at 5:17 AM
    Shawnwrestler

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    Crisis averted. It is the camshaft position sensor. Which is located by the oil filter I believe??

Bob likes this.
  5. Sep 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    YUp...that would do it. I don't know about an '05 but on a '01 it is right above the starter. Good luck & Wheel Safe!!

6. Sep 17, 2016 at 12:27 PM
    Shawnwrestler

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    Well it turns out I forgot to plug in the camshaft sensor but that didn't solve the issue. When I turn the key it turns over the engine a small amount but won't continue to turn over the engine so it will start. I checked the starter connection to make sure it wasn't corroded and it still does the same thing. I wasn't able to trick it into starting again by turning the crank by hand. So I don't know what else to do. It isn't throwing any more codes.

7. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    Shawnwrestler

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    It doesn't have a distributor. I spent all day messing with it and came up with it being a computer issue. I can force the starter relay to make contact so it will turn over and if I have someone turn the key while I do that it starts. But one thing I noticed is that when I try and start it my dash says every gear is selected. So the computer isn't letting it start. I took apart the shift interlock module and cleaned the circuit board, apparently that can help with that issue but it didn't work.

8. Sep 18, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Sounds like a tough one. Good luck with it.

Bob likes this.
  9. Sep 18, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    Shawnwrestler

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    Yea. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to bring it to a mechanic to tell me what's wrong with it. Luckily I know some people that do it out of there house so it will be cheaper then a shop.

10. Nov 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM
    Shawnwrestler

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2005 grand cherokee
    Well figured it out, well the mechanic did. his fancy scanner pulled a code saying there wasn't any communication between the transmission range sensor and computer. it ended up needing a new selanoid pack. but now I keep getting a camshaft sensor intermittent aikure code. which I put a new sensor in. also the engine is kind of ticky, especially when it's cold. it basically sounds like an engine running without oil for the first few minutes.

Products Discussed in

To Top