1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Grand Cherokee overheating

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee' started by ktbee1109, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Sep 2, 2023 at 4:41 PM
    ktbee1109

ktbee1109 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kattie
    Vehicle:
    2010 jeep grand cherokee
    Hello,

PLEASE HELP!!! We already have our vans front end getting fixed next week and now our 2nd vehicle is having issues.

I am NOT a car expert. I'd like anyone's advice on my situation. I turned left from a stop light and it all of a sudden was really hard to turn. I pulled over and shut the jeep off. Then, I turned it back on and started driving again. I noticed the C and H on the dashboard went all the way to the right on thermostat on the dash board. I know that means overheating. (sorry, I'm not a car expert and I probably sound dumb explaining this)
    I pulled over again and waited for it to go down a bit. I was about a mile up from my local car part shop so I got back on the road and drove at 25 MPH with my hazards on. It went back up all the way to the right on H again. The car engine and battery light went on at the same time. About a half a mile away from the shop a light turned on where the thermostat on the dashboard was then the thermostat instantly went back down to C. When I pulled into the parking lot I could barely park it with how hard the steering was (both turning it left and right it was really tight).

One of the workers there popped the hood up. The belt was completely off!!!!
    We called a tow truck and when they got there they couldn't get the jeep to start. :(

With research it looks to me like the coolant was what was leaking. Do you think it could be the water pump? The bearings inside of it bad??

Again, I just google stuff and I don't speak car lingo but am willing!!

I had a brand new engine installed not very long ago. I know that the fan is brand new.

I have photos attached.

car.jpg car1.jpg car2.jpg car3.jpg
    I hope this reaches someone that can steer me into the right direction to get to the bottom of it. I don't want to bring it into a shop without having any knowledge.

2. Sep 2, 2023 at 8:39 PM
    LYFZGOOD

LYFZGOOD members

Member:
    Wv
    Vehicle:
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    2.5” lift 32x11.50x15,cold air intake, Smittybuilt stainless steel Bumpers, rough county pocket flares,Rugged ridge seat covers and floor mats. Conversion LED headlights 20’ LED Light bar hardtop,soft top,bikini top.
    I was hoping someone would just jump in with some help but it’s a holiday weekend
    No belt means nothing was turning no power steering no A/C alternator I was thinking of an older motor everything new I think has electric check make sure that it was functioning also check and see if it has any coolant in the radiator? Does it have any oil in the engine? Check the oil and see if coolant is in the oil it would look milky when the needle went to H was steam coming from under the hood

I work on my own vehicle but I mean the simple things.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    aggrex likes this.
  3. Sep 3, 2023 at 5:58 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Besides the obviously missing belt which runs everything like alternator,AC,PS etc the source of the coolant leak needs to be identified. Further operation of the vehicle will cause irreparable motor damage from overheating if the damage is not already done :eek:. Based off the pics the "new" engine and components don't appear too new but regardless basic parts of the cooling system need to be inspected/replaced, i.e. hoses, thermostat, proper coolant mix, radiator, fans operating etc. If the water pump ain't squealing or leaking the odds are the pump may be ok.

Bob and LYFZGOOD like this.
To Top