1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Jeep Rubicon steering stabilizer (shock) leaks oil "again"

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by onecoldschooner, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Sep 7, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    onecoldschooner

onecoldschooner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Jeep Rubicon, lifted a bit with larger tires
    WARN front/rear bumper, spare tire swing out, WARN winch with nylon cable
    Bought this Jeep used with just 6400 miles. It has over 10K in upgrades by previous owner. WARN bumpers, winch, etc., and FOX shocks. Included was a lifetime warranty on the steering stabilizer (shock) it doesn't say the brand name. Well, it keeps leaking after about 18 months over and over. They replace it for free (parts only) and I pay the labor. Just getting tired of doing this for the fourth time now. Recommendations? What brand shock do you use?

2. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Shouldn't be wearing out that soon. Can you post a picture of the mounting location so we can see if any other issues might be causing it?

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Agreed. There may be another issue causing it. So Answer Chris4x4s question first. And we'll go from there.

And if your interested.
    Don't quote me. But I beleive Monroe makes like 90 % of all shocks sold in this country. And steering stablizers are basically shocks. I have a Skyjacker series 7000 stablizer collecting dust. Its just your basic shock turned sideways. Lol. Used it for like 2 months. If you pick up the shipping. It's yours. Just send me a PM with your addy.

chris4x4 likes this.
  4. Sep 14, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I have run them all from expensive to cheap from pro Comp to teraflex and I understand that just about all of the aftermarket are made by Monroe. I have never run fox and they might be my next set, but in general I run the pro comp 1000s and 3000s. They are lighter duty and have less dampener so you don't get beat up in the lighter jeeps. On my cj I have an OME steering dampener and on my YJ I put a pro comp 3000 dampener and jk has a teraflex. They all work well. If your leaking, change brands.

JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top