1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.21 v 3.73 stock gears

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by efarley, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Nov 7, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    efarley

efarley [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 Wrangler Big Bear
    I have been doing more research to determine my ideal used Wrangler JK for my first Jeep and I've noticed all of the automatic transmissions I have found paired with the 3.6L engine have the standard 3.21 gear ratios and none have had the 3.73 option listed on their window stickers. I have only seen the 3.73 option listed on the 6 spd manual.

Does the 3.73 not come on automatics? Is there anything to look for that the 3.73 might be included with but isn't called out? I saw one person claiming if they jeep has the tow package it has the 3.73 but, I haven't been able to confirm that.

Lastly would you all hold out for a 3.73 over a 3.21 if you planned to run 33s?

UPDATE: I have discovered those gear ratios only apply to the Manual transmission and the Automatics have a different gear ratio. Do Automatic owners not need to re-gear when going up to 33s?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  2. Nov 7, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    The 3.73 was an option for certain Wranglers and was part of the tow package. The 3.21 was the standard ratio. Some like it and others complain about the 3.21 so consider future expenses for gear upgrades frt&rr

3. Nov 7, 2020 at 3:29 PM
    jeepavalanche

jeepavalanche Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have 37 inch tires, steel bumpers, and swing tire carrier on stock 3.21. It hauls just fine with auto trans. Remember that 3.6 is a machine compared to 3.8

gibbster likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top