1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4.2L wiring help!

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by 88Jeepninja, May 15, 2017.

1. May 15, 2017 at 6:28 PM
    88Jeepninja

88Jeepninja [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Camden ny
    Vehicle:
    88 yj, red, 2" lift with 31's
    Hi all! I need a lot of help with wiring issue on 88 yj, 258, hei dist. Coil in cap. The wiring on my new ' jeep is mostly gone and what's left is unhooked... I know, why? I need to knowwhat color wires go where, any help is appreciated pics if Possible. I would like to just have hard minimum for wires. It also came with msd ignition but not hooked up...

2. May 15, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. May 16, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Hopefully JTHM71 and Dbarlow will step in here and help out. I believe they both just performed this same swap on their YJs. Each I believe went a little different route. I believe D performed the nutter bypass prior to HEI installation, and J removed all computer electronics from his. If you need pictures of what they did, they would be the ones to ask. Check their thread above for some pictures on wiring and relays.

4. May 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    88Jeepninja

88Jeepninja [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Camden ny
    Vehicle:
    I looked at diagram, and tried to follow suit but have no spark, and think maybe some wires are missing or different color. If I knew what wires I needed and where they went it would help alot. I've got a fsm and haynes, but it's hard to make heads or tails without all wiring in place, and the wires have not been hacked and spliced. Jeep cranks over great, lights on dash come on as usual, but wiring is messed up somewhere, or coil in cap may be shot?i hope to get it going because i go back to work thursday... gf has zj but needa it for her job. Thanx for the help! Ill post some pics of what i stepped in on this yj when I get home....

5. May 17, 2017 at 6:28 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Is the "coil" on the distributor MSD also. Did you install the HEI or did you get the jeep set up as is? Has it ever run set up as it is. Please post some pics of the distributor and msd ignition that you have. Is there a model # for either or both.

I would double check the Routing of the spark plug wires and make sure they are following the correct firing order.

6. May 17, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    88Jeepninja

88Jeepninja [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Camden ny
    Vehicle:
    Ok, sorry it's taking so long... I have a msd dizzy, that has coil in cap. It has run, and was strong... until p.o. decided to remove the ecm. I have taaaaken the msd box out of the equation until it's running, then put it in. I tried to test module, and coil, and believe coil is toast. i will try and post pics when I get to keep tonight. Thanx for any help!
    Keep jeepin on!

7. May 17, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    When you run the HEI the ignition module should be removed. Run the switched power that goes to the module straight over to the HEI distributor. Your coil might be fine and just not getting power. Check the power coming into the distributor with the key in on position. I think JTHM71 had a similar issue. I think he had power going to the distributor with the key on, but when he cranked it cut power to the distributor. Make sure you have your starter relay wired correctly. I posted hand drawn pics in the previously mentioned thread as to how it should be wired There are 2 relays let me know if yours looks different (has an extra post not shown in the pic)

8. May 17, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    88Jeepninja

88Jeepninja [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Camden ny
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm, I'll have to check voltage while cranking... I got jeep as is, p.o. said was running great but he wanted to clean up the wiring mess... Well id hate to see what it was before! Pics soon, and with the push button starter po had wires direct to starter... ​

9. May 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    88Jeepninja

88Jeepninja [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Camden ny
    Vehicle:
    Oh, and msd is ignition module, and I just took it out until problem solved... owl brand of dizzy.

10. May 18, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    88Jeepninja

88Jeepninja [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Camden ny
    Vehicle:
To Top