1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

76 CJ-7 swerving between lanes

Discussion in 'CJ' started by HotRodN, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Mar 7, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    HotRodN

HotRodN [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Willy's 2 door
    Bumper, winch, fender flares. Stock ride height for now.
    Okay folks,,,, took my lifted 76 CJ-7 out for a road test last night and had a real real eye opener to say the least. It has a 4.5 inch Rubicon lift that's fairly new.No ssway bar just springs. Man that thing is stiff lol.
    My issue was the way it would change lanes with no input. I think it needs a panhard or traction bar badly.
    Will check everything else like bushings and steering box but I think there is just too much flex side to side in this setup for street use.
    Input all ya want to. Like where to get a bar???
    HotRodN

2. Mar 7, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I have 7 in of lift and drive it at 65 all the time. I did replace EVERYTHING suspension and steering related. All spring and hanger bushings, sway bar bushings, balljoints, tierod ends, and steering box (mine is a 79 and was 35 years old when I bought it). You definitely need a sway bar. It should have come with one. Many people take them off. I do see a benefit for a front track bar, but I don't have one. I believe it would tighten up the steering. Wouldn't be too hard to get one off of a YJ and weld your own mounts for it.

3. Mar 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    HotRodN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Willy's 2 door
    Hey Offgrid,,, got under the front end and hand turned the steering column and found the biggest reason it would move as much as it was. The tie rod end that attaches to the right spindle was very loose. It's the one directly attached to the rod from the steering box. Can't remember the correct term for it. So I pulled the carter key out and put a wrench on it. Then I adjusted the play out of the steering box to remove some of it's slop. While doing that I found the universal joints in the column need to be replaced. While those don't really contribute to the steering issue I had they do leave play in the system you feel in the steering wheel. After making those adjustments took it out for another road test and it was totally drivable. Still wants to wobble more than I prefer but experience tells me you can't get it all out on the older models especially when you have a big lift and big tires on them. That Rubicon 4.5" express lift is a rough riding dude. Would like a little softer ride but hey,,,, I'll go with the flow. I'm sure there will be times that I'm glad its as stiff as it is. Next to get the brakes working a tad better.
    Will a power brake setup from a YJ fit on a CJ. There only 80 bucks at the parts house compared to one I found for 130 on eBay.
    HotRodN

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Mar 7, 2017 at 5:44 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    It should. This is what I run: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1986-j...m4d04d57f18:m:mT9Ft4t5kgeqgX6923HDkuA&vxp=mtr

I know a guy who loves his Rubicon lift. Says it rides great. I have never ridden in it. I run a SOA lift from Rocky-Road with factory YJ springs on my CJ. People often comment on how well my jeep rides. When all you have is the springs keeping the frame under the Jeep it is hard to get the wiggle out of it which is why they added a track bar to the YJ. Im glad you found the loose Drag link tierod end. That could have been a disaster. Are you planning on going to the "Go Topless Weekend" in Crystal beach? Wife should be very pregnant then, but I'm going to try to get down there. I have a few friends that will be going and I'm trying to finish up the YJ so I can troll the beach with a for sale sign on it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Mar 12, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    HotRodN

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Cypress Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Willy's 2 door
    I hope to get to go,,, just depends on if I get it legal or not. Plan on making the trip to the inspection station next weekend and then get the title transferred the next week. I may trailer it down this time. I doubt I'll have all the bugs worked out by then but ya never know, it may get done. Just a bunch of little things to get it where I'm comfortable it'll make the trip. A few test runs to work and home should give me a good indicator :))

To Top