1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

77 CJ5

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Joeyb1991, May 22, 2024.

1. May 22, 2024 at 5:17 PM
    Joeyb1991

Joeyb1991 [OP] New Member

Member:
    What’s up guys new to the forum. Just got my dad’s 1975 cj5 after my dad just passed away after a long battle with dementia. Been sitting for 5+ years, can’t wait to get her running but not sure where to start. We converted to a small block v8. Do you think I have to drop the tank and clean the bad gas/ if it has any, or do you think new battery and plugs and oil would do the job? We dropped it off running and driving 5 years ago or so

IMG_5809.jpg

2. May 22, 2024 at 6:36 PM
    Engir

Engir 1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Member:
    Costa Rica
    Vehicle:
    1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
    none
    The tank would depend on how much is in it if it low add gas to it and they will mix together and it should run on that with little problems otherwise I would consider draining.

LYFZGOOD and aggrex like this.
  3. Jun 12, 2024 at 5:37 PM
    Joeyb1991

Joeyb1991 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys I posted previously about me getting my dad’s 75 cj5. I found out it’s actually a 77 with the original 304 amc in it. So I did plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter , and battery just to try and get it to fire up. I got fired up and running just with carb cleaner for a min. But now i added about 7 gallons of fuel to the tank and it still won’t start. It’s been sitting for 5+ years. Not sure what to do now. Any help would be appreciated

4. Jun 13, 2024 at 6:24 AM
    MTgeezer

MTgeezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    55 CJ 3B
    441 sbc/AGEM22W/"Super"D18/D44s-ARBs-Dutchman
    Sitting 5 years with modern gas usually means cleaning the entire fuel system out. That it runs with carb cleaner means the electrical side of things is probably functioning ok. First thing I would do is disconnect the fuel line at the carb and have someone bump the starter for a few revolutions. If there is fuel there, your problem got a lot smaller and a carb rebuild may be all that is needed. But I would still throw a couple of bottles of Sea Foam in the fuel tank. If there is no fuel there, either the fuel pump has failed or the lines/tank pickup are clogged and you will need to clean all that out.

aggrex likes this.
To Top