1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

79 CJ7 steering issues

Discussion in 'CJ' started by road king, May 16, 2017.

1. May 16, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    road king

road king [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Cj7
    New build
    Have a 79 cj7 have some steering problems

2. May 16, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    Bob

Bob Well-Known Member Moderator

Member:
    What problems are you having?

3. May 17, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Mine came with very bad steering issues. I replaced the ball joints and tierod ends to both the center link and the drag link, and replaced the bushings in the front springs, This fixed my steering problems. It's a full days job. I soon after converted to power steering.

4. May 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    road king

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Cj7
    New build
    Have replaced all bushings ball joints,tie rods, steering shaft, steering box, added 4 inch leaf spring shims tried doing a front end alignment with a 1/4 inch tow in maybe Saturday I will go put it on a machine to see if that will do it.anyone have any helpful suggestions

5. May 18, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    What is it doing? Pulling left or right? Hunting? Wandering? Slack in the steering? Tell,us a little about your build. Do you have a sway bar? Many times PO remove them. Will say that you want the front as close to neutral as possible. Just a slight toe in, less than a quarter inch if any. If you have large tires 32s and bigger the air pressure can greatly affect the handling. Try different air pressures. Lots of air makes the front loose and flighty. Less air makes it steer better but will tend to hunt in the grooves. Find your happy medium. You said that you have 4 inch springs. Do you have a 4 in dropped pitman arm. If not you would have bump steer.

6. May 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    road king

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Cj7
    New build
    Yes it does have the sway bar my bad on the 4 inch springs I meant to say 4 degree shims in the leaf springs tire size is 35/12.50/15 but I'm running 32 psi it seems to Wonder I will post some pics

To Top