1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

83 CJ cranks but won't start

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Minidiehl, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Nov 26, 2016 at 3:26 PM
    Minidiehl

Minidiehl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    1983 cj7
    None
    I have a 1983 cj7 I just purchased. It does not run. When you turn the key it has a shot of spark and then nothing, still cranks but no more spark. I have replaced all electronics that are on the jeep. I have no idea what to do

2. Nov 28, 2016 at 8:50 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Fuel, Spark, and Air are needed to run. Provided you have already made sure that you are getting fuel and air to carburetor. I had all kinds of problems with the ford electronics on my CJ engine. Perform a "Nutter Bypass" (Remove your computer and Ignition control module) replace the ford Ignition coil and distributor with a Chevy HEI distributor (I bought mine new on Ebay with the Jeep cam shaft gear for under $100). This fixed all of my engine electrical issues.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
To Top