1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

89 ax15 swap

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Liftedxj82, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Sep 10, 2016 at 5:27 AM
    Liftedxj82

Liftedxj82 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Black 2 door sport
    Lift, tires, lights, bumpers
    I've got an 89 Cherokee with the ba10, recently took a dump, so considering the ax15 swap, I've sourced an ax15 that came out of an 89 cherokee, my question is, is that a direct swap due to year or am I gonna have any issues?

2. Sep 10, 2016 at 7:33 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
  3. Sep 10, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    Liftedxj82

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Black 2 door sport
    Even if the ax15 came out of an 89, same everything except it's the ax15, not ba10

4. Sep 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,

Let me be clear on this...I am no expert on this swap (or much of anything), so take what I say for what it may or may not be worth. That said......It is my understanding there are several differences. These include output to the transfer case, pilot bearing, and a few other things.

Some 89s had the PA10 and some the AX15 and I know much bolts up...but count the output shaft splines on them, just to be sure. If I am not all wet (which IS possible), one may have a 21 spline and the other a 23. Again, they use different pilot bearings and there can be some mounting issues. Not with the bell housing but with the cross member. I suspect getting it from the same year may prevent the normal issues over the internal hydraulic throwout.

Just offering some things to check on before you get in too deep.

Good luck.

5. Sep 10, 2016 at 8:09 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Which transfer case do you have? NP231 or 207??

6. Sep 10, 2016 at 8:18 AM
    Liftedxj82

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Black 2 door sport
    I've got the 231j, and from wat I've read I'd only have to move cross member back, I'm not sure about pilot bearing and I'm already sure I'm gonna have to swap input shafts in tcase

7. Sep 10, 2016 at 8:25 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Well, then we agree - Not just a direct swap. It sounds like you are on top of it though. Check on that pilot bearing. :)

To Top