1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

94 Cherokee randomly turning off

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by Cherokeeboy, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Feb 8, 2017 at 10:55 PM
    Cherokeeboy

Cherokeeboy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Hi I've had my jeep for over a month now and love it. I've always wanted one.

My jeep was misfiring and turning off. I was told I needed a new cap, rotor, spark plugs, wire and fuel pump and now it doesn't misfire on me anymore.

But it still turns off sometimes while driving. What could it be??

2. Feb 9, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    When is it turning off on you? Exactly what are you doing when it cuts off. Are you driving down at highway speeds when it does it. Maybe slowing down to make a turn and stall in the turn. Maybe it stalls when you are sitting at a stop light, and finally does it start up easily after it stalls?

3. Feb 9, 2017 at 3:00 PM
    Cherokeeboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    When I'm at a light then I take off it wants to die out and sometimes does die out but then I have to turn it back on and it starts up

4. Feb 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    Cherokeeboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Sometimes it turns off when I make a turn too

5. Feb 9, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Providing this isn't happening when you are on an empty tank, it sounds like you're idling down too low. I'm not sure exactly what sensors would cause that. TPS, Cam sensor, Crank sensor. I think your jeep has all of these. That is a good question for Richard.

Found this on another site:

"My daughter's 94 Jeep with the 4.0 liter engine is idling to low when it is in drive ( around 450-500 rpm) and it will die on her every once in a while and it shakes a little bit while sitting at a red light. I would like to adjust the idle speed up just a little bit but I cannot see where to adjust it at, can someone please tell me who to do this?

On these engines you can't simply just adjust the idle speed, as it is controlled in various ways by the computer and numerous sensors. The first thing I would do is check to see how dirty the inside of the throttle body is. If its McNasty clean out all the carbon build up and see if that changes anything. If not you may want to look into getting several of the sensors tested. The first one being the IAC then the TPS. After the throttle body cleaning you could also try running some fuel treatment for the injectors like seafoam and also run some through the intake. "

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    grwgoldpro

grwgoldpro Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle:
    1999 Jeep Cherokee
    Off road bumper
    Crankcase Position Sensor. Yours is probably shutting off gas in crash mode. Intermittent. Located from the bottom believe on the left side. Don't buy after market by Mopar. Takes less than 30 minutes to change.

To Top