1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 2.5 timing something ain't right.

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by CoTJ, May 12, 2017.

1. May 12, 2017 at 11:16 PM
    CoTJ

CoTJ [OP] Member

Member:
    For those that missed my earlier thread i am in the final stages of installing my first remanned engine in my 97 tj 2.5 efi. I put the balancer on with the rented tool. Rotated to Tdc visusal as well as air. The timing mark on the balancer lines up with +4. I installed the dizzy per every video I've seen, consulted Chilton for the right hole. Set the op notch to 11. Sild the dizzy in the heard didn't quit go. Hi had to twist the dizzy forward a few degrees. Once it was in I was able to go back enough to get the bracket at the base to line up. When I put the rotor on it was pointing half way between #1 and the next in the sequence. I was told that timing doesn't matter with an efi tj. The computer takes care of it? Doesn't seem right to me. So I've searched and read but nothing really seams to fit my issue.

2. May 12, 2017 at 11:23 PM
    CoTJ

CoTJ [OP] Member

Member:
    Another thing about the balancer is it is awfully close to the TC cover. I mean you could maybe get a blade of a tape measure between the balancer an TC cover.

To Top