1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adjustments needed to handle 35" tires?

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by 0311, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Sep 30, 2016 at 8:00 AM

0311 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all! Not a real technical guy and I have a question about getting new tires. I have a 2014 JK and it's got 33" combo on it now. I want to upgrade to a 35" combo. Question is will I need to do anything to the axles? It's a daily driver but I do a lot off road for work. I also have a 4" lift. Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 30, 2016 at 11:32 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Hello...welcome to the site.

Is this a Rubicon? If it is, you will need to trim the Rock Rails (called rubi-rails) by about 3/4 inch for the rear.
    In 2013 they made a small change to the pinch seam at the bottom (front) of the rear fender wells so you should not have to do anything there.

SO...with your lift and assuming you already have wheels with the proper back-spacing (or wheel spacers), you should be good to go.
    Remember, the dana 30 axles (if NOT running a Rubi) are not known for their top strength. So if you are a lead foot type...be a little gentler on 35s. :) Someday, when you get independently wealthy you can consider stronger axles shafts. (folks run 35s all the time...so it is not that big a deal)

And, of course, what gearing you have is important when changing tire sizes. (what ya got?)

3. Oct 3, 2016 at 1:10 PM

0311 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not running a Rubicon, pretty sure the gears are stock.

4. Oct 3, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    "stock" can be either 3:21 or 3:73 on a 2014.

If you have 3.21 you may find going to 35s problematic. 3.73s would not be bad for a DD. I run 4.10 and 35s.

Good luck with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top