1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on tire chains for ’21 JL Unlimited?

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by Blaze, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Jan 28, 2023 at 9:48 PM
    Blaze

Blaze [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Firecracker Red Wrangler Unlimited
    My ’21 JL has 255/70R18 all-season tires. I must purchase a set of 4 chains to have on hand to guarantee that I reach a family event no matter what in an area and time of year where it is almost guaranteed to snow. Suggestions for type and best place to purchase greatly appreciated. TIA.

2. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:13 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @Blaze. Just a suggestion: practice in an empty parking lot during some snow/sleet activity to learn how your Jeep performs on steering, braking and acceleration. Perhaps better AT or 3 peak tires

Bob and Blaze[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:36 PM
    Blaze

Blaze [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Excellent suggestion, indeed. Will definitely practice with whatever we get. But this is more of a one-time thing to make absolutely sure we get to a surprise marriage proposal. Otherwise, they'll not get much use, nor do we need more of an AT tire. Thank you!

Bob likes this.
  4. Jan 29, 2023 at 8:05 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    IME all-season tires should be fine for light snow but the tread is too mild for deeper snow. Despite the A/S tires the 4WD system should have no problems on unplowed roads to move forward but braking & steering (as with any vehicle) on slippery surfaces/especially ice will require extra care. I keep recovery gear (straps/soft shackles, shovel, traction board etc) in my JK with KO2s and have never owned a set of chains. Check your owners manual and check whether chain use is restricted in some areas and whether chains can be used on your aluminum wheels. Let us know what you decide and how the trip goes.

Blaze[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 29, 2023 at 8:52 PM
    Blaze

Blaze [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanx for all of that. This is just to make sure we don't miss a surprise marriage proposal, but not for much more. I did a lot of research and just ordered a couple pairs of SCC SZ447 Z6 cable chains. Whether we use them or not, it's more like insurance that we won't miss this important event. Then they'll just store in the back for just in case. Thanx again.

aggrex likes this.
To Top