1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After Market Diff Covers

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by Justanotherjeeper, Jun 18, 2023.

1. Jun 18, 2023 at 6:10 AM
    Justanotherjeeper

Justanotherjeeper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Wrangler 2 door
    paid cash for it.
    I just finished a project installing an Eaton Truetrac LSD on the Dana 44 rear diff on my JK and decided to install a cool after market diff cover in honour of the work. Then, of course, it looked so great, I decided to install a matching one on the front diff as well. All good. I used a lube locker gasket to seal them - perfect, no leaks.
    However, on the front one I noticed a fresh oil stain on the floor of the garage, and since nothing normally leaks on my Jeep, I just knew it had to be related to the new diff cover.
    What I didn’t realize is that with after market diff covers, you can’t just fill them up until the fluid runs out, because they change the capacity of the diff. Maybe everyone knows this, and it makes sense when you think about it, which I didn’t at the time. What was happening was the excess diff oil was being blown out through the diff vent and dripping down the left lower control arm onto the garage floor. Not much, but annoying!

Simple fix, I drained the oil and reinstalled it according to the capacity listed for the Dana 30 - 1 litre. Problem solved and the diff covers look a super cool.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  2. Jun 18, 2023 at 7:03 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    :worthless:

p.s. Happy Fathers Day Everyone

Bob and LYFZGOOD like this.
  3. Jun 18, 2023 at 10:47 AM
    Justanotherjeeper

Justanotherjeeper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Wrangler 2 door
    paid cash for it.