1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another death wobble issue?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by OFFGRID, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Oct 25, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I know it is not a Jeep, but the principle is the same. I spent all day Sunday helping a buddy fix is death wobble in his 2003 Dodge RAM 2500. We replaced all the tie rod ends, the drag link, ball joints, steering stabilizer shock, and track bar bushings. Everything was torqued down to the correct specifications in the manual. He is on his way to Salt lake City when in New Mexico it came back when he hit a bump at just over 80mph. I'm stumped. Any suggestions? My only thought is that maybe the Moog aftermarket "problem solver" bushings are not up to par. It is the first time I've used them. I usually replace the whole trackbar with an OEM one. I tried to save some money.

2. Oct 25, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    I've never had the death wobble, but the ones I have seen have always been related to the track bar

3. Oct 25, 2016 at 4:29 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    yeah me too. I've come to the conclusion that the Moog bushings we installed do not provide enough rigidity. I was able to press them in by hand. Getting an OEM track bar tomorrow.

4. Oct 25, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Let us know how it works out.

To Top