1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back In A Wrangler

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by soupy1957, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Sep 4, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    soupy1957

soupy1957 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    Jeepit.com mirrors
    In 2008, I bought a Jeep Wrangler "X" that I had for two years, until the ex-wife pissed & moaned about wanting something a little more civil.

The new gal that I married, loves to shift, and I teased her for a while, saying that she ought to have a Jeep Wrangler, until finally yesterday after we had test driven a couple of them, we put a deposit on a 2012 Wrangler Sport model.

Since I kinda knew what I was looking at, I looked it over really good. It has 24,000 miles on it and everything looked like it was in really great shape.

The dealership said it had Tacata airbags, and they weren't going to let the vehicle off the lot until they've done the service recall on it. I'm hoping it's not going to take too long for Tocata to get out the new propellant cylinders so that the service recall work can be done.

So basically since 2010 I haven't really been watching the Jeep market to see what's been going on, but I know the 2012 was a real upgrade away from the four-cylinder motors and I'm thankful to see that.

For those of you who have stayed right on top of things from 2010 up until now, maybe you could enlighten me as to any major issues I need to watch out for on the 2012, or just fill in the gaps for me and what's been going on in the Jeep Wrangler world.

For the record I am not a "freedom top " nor a "limited" enthusiast. There were so many problems with the gasket on top of the windshield, in relationship to the freedom top on the 2008, that I'll never buy another one for as long as I live, no matter how they try to convince me that they've worked out all the problems. And I'm not excited about the additional wheel base of the "limited." I appreciate the idea of four doors, but I'd much rather have the shorter wheelbase of the Wrangler.

Since I live in New England, and I pretty much know the entire East Coast, because I've traveled up and down it many times, from Caribou, Maine to Fort Myers,Florida there are two observations I would make:

1. I am willing to put up with the stiffness of the zippers when trying to put together or take apart the soft top in cold conditions, no matter how brutal that might be.

2. Having taken the 2008 Wrangler that I owned, the entire distance of the East Coast, I can vouch for its comfort and it's minimal noise, even WITH the soft top. True it's not the same as a hardtop but that's what you get, when you buy one of these, and you know that, going in.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Bob likes this.
  2. Sep 4, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome!

3. Sep 4, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Welcome to the site Steve.

4. Sep 4, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    soupy1957

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    Jeepit.com mirrors
    Thanks folks

5. Sep 4, 2016 at 9:27 AM
    bostonbilly

bostonbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sahara JKU
    Welcome Steve. Good to see a fellow New Englander on here.

6. Sep 4, 2016 at 9:32 AM
    soupy1957

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    Jeepit.com mirrors
    Thanks Billy! Go Sox!!

Products Discussed in

To Top