1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bar's Leaks?

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by snukulu, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Sep 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    snukulu

snukulu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Wrangler Sahara
    According to my neighbor/mechanic, my radiator has a pinhole leak. He recommended using Bar's Leaks. I trust him completely (he's actually a mechanic, not just a "car guy" or "parts-changer", as he calls them), but of course, you get on YouTube and there are a half-dozen "Don't use Bar's Leaks or your entire life will be ruined" videos. Does anyone have experience with using this stuff, especially on the radiator? And is the goal to stave off a near-future replacement or is there a chance that if the leak is small enough this stuff will hold it together for a really long time? I'd rather just replace a radiator now than use this stuff if there's a chance it'll damage the rest of the engine.

2. Sep 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    snukulu

snukulu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Wrangler Sahara
    Also, it says "cooling systems that are dirty or partially clogged should be flushed before usage". Ummm...how do you know? And I won't be offended - I have the engine knowledge of someone who's never done anything more than change a tire, the oil, or a bulb, so please explain at that level if you can.

3. Sep 6, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    You can get a new radiator pretty cheap. I would just replace it.

OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  4. Sep 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    The issue with using any type of sealer like that. The cooling channels inside the motor are so small in some areas. It could ultimately end up clogging them too. And that creates more issues you don't want. I agree with Chris4x4. Just replace it. If you have one small hole. Most likely, More are to follow.

Bottom line. Your probably going to have to replace it in the future.

OFFGRID and aggrex like this.
  5. Sep 7, 2017 at 5:21 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    If you know where the leak is you can try some Quiksteel on the outside. I damaged some fins on my radiator trying to get the mechanical fan off and was able to patch it up with Quiksteel. It lasted quite a while but ultimately I did end up replacing the radiator.

6. Sep 7, 2017 at 5:27 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    You can get a radiator for less than $100 on Amazon and they are easy to replace with basic hand tools so I am sure you could do it.

In addition to the Bars Leak clogging up passages in your radiator it can do the same in your heater core.

7. Sep 7, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Agreed. Any type of motor sealer could cause more issues than what you have now. Actually, many years ago, being short on cash. I sealed a pin hole in the radiator with body putty. But, ultimately ended up replacing it. Also, it's a good time to flush your system when you replace it.

OFFGRID likes this.
  8. Sep 14, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I would replace the radiator. I have used stop leak before, same as bar leak. Wished I never did. It clogged up every small passage the water accessed. I had overheating problems from that day forward. You should be able to get a radiator for under $200. Well worth it.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  9. Sep 15, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Let us know what your fix was...and how you made out. Any issues...post'em. Sure some one here can help. This too shall pass.

10. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    snukulu

snukulu [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Wrangler Sahara
    Have decided to replace the radiator. Seeing everything from $60 - $300 on Amazon. How do you know the difference between them? Any particular brands anyone would recommend? I'd like to try to put it in myself, but I do remember someone saying there were some "fit adjustments" that had to be made when they put theirs in. I'd like to avoid that due to my limited mechanical skills but if it's a better product I don't mind paying to have "my guy" put it in.

11. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Buy local maybe somewhat more $ from a dedicated parts supply store rather than a less $ questionable fit from Amazon. Like shopping on Amazon but not if it's questionable fit and poor reviews .

JKBob 25 likes this.
  12. Oct 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM
    LYFZGOOD

LYFZGOOD members

Member:
    Wv
    Vehicle:
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    2.5” lift 32x11.50x15,cold air intake, Smittybuilt stainless steel Bumpers, rough county pocket flares,Rugged ridge seat covers and floor mats. Conversion LED headlights 20’ LED Light bar hardtop,soft top,bikini top.
    Just like JKBOB said,this too shall pass. On if you don’t use stop leak. then nothing will pass Good LUCK!

JKBob 25 likes this.
  13. Oct 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    JKBob 25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Agreed with aggrex. If you buy online, and it's the wrong size, product, etc. Than you have the headache of returning it. I'd go to a local auto parts store. You have a better chance of getting the right one.

14. Oct 29, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    Offroad798

Offroad798 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    fenders, bumpers, winch, inner fenders, cb, headliner storage, oil pan armor
    Here is a little different point of view. When we rebuilt Gm Cadillac engines (4.1 , 4.5, 4.9) I know there not mopar but the cylinder sleeves had o-rings on the bottom and then after reassembling we installed seal tabs into the cooling system. Never had a problem with the engines clogging or overheating. From what I remember bar's leak looked like rubber parts floating in it. Never used it so I cant say. I have put the GM tabs in other engines for small leaks and it worked. Reasons were people didn't want to replace to repair radiator or were selling the vehicle. Just my two cents worth---

FEATURES & BENEFITS
    • Professional-strength formula creates a permanent seal against minor or microscopic leaks and porosity
    • The compatible seals work with water and all types of antifreeze including conventional green or blue (silicate based), Extended Life red/orange, DEX-COOL and yellow coolants
    • Tabs are designed to be harmless to all plastic, metal, aluminum, hoses and connections within the cooling system and will not add premature wear to cooling system components

s-l500.jpg

Bob likes this.
To Top