1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG Mud Terrain vs stock

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Achic21, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Sep 28, 2016 at 10:29 PM
    Achic21

Achic21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Does anyone else have cupping problems with their BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A tire(aka willys wheeler). I have 2 jeeps to choose from one with willys and one without. Not really an off roader just like the look of the tires. Also my issue is more snow and ice. Stock tires or willys?!?!

2. Sep 29, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    So you are asking about the stock tires on different model packages?

This depends upon what YOU want and how and where YOU drive as to which way you should go. The BFG MTs (stock on Willys and Rubicon models) are just what they say...Mud terrain tires. They work decent off-road and in deep snow. They seem to wear well but are expensive if buying replacements. (NOTE: If you have a really big lead foot...you can and will damage (cupping) most any MT on pavement.) I have run them year round (which works for how and where I drive), but they are not great tires for the highway driving on snow and ice, as a general statement. A good AT style or true snow tire will do much better in that situation. I am assuming the other tires you refer to as "stock" are the Goodyear ATs style on some other models packages. These are, of course, better pavement tires.

I have not had trouble (when I used to run them) with them cupping but there are other BFGs which I have seen cup...just not the ones on the Rubi and Willys Jeeps. My MTs made it about 40k miles which is decent for an MT style tire.

3. Oct 5, 2016 at 8:08 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I Don't like BFG anymore. I bought 6 AT tires for a duelly. They started vibrating. at the first rotation I asked them to balance them. They could not because the carcasses were warped. BFG refused to warranty them. I run Hankooks or Nitto on my trucks now. That being said Cupping is usually a sign that something is out of wack in the front end. Usually Ball joints, Tie Rod Ends, etc. I believe the toe out or in can cause cupping too.

To Top