1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake bleeding issue

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by BigThunder, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Oct 20, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    BigThunder

BigThunder [OP] Member

Member:
    Conroe, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 TJ
    So, i did a brake drum to disk conversion the other day and now i cant get my rear brake fluid into the calipers. i have a new Master Cylinder that was bench bled properly a while back, the proportioning valve has fluid going to it, the ABS pump has fluid going to it, so all three components have positive fluid. i tried pumping the brakes, gravity feed and even purchased a pump to suck it through and nothing. I unhooked the T-Block where the single brake line goes from the front to the rear and then T's off to both rear ends and not a single drop of fluid was present.
    Now, when you do a brake conversion you have to eliminate the ABS sensors from the rear end so i am thinking that when i disconnected the ABS lines and THEN took out the fuses and buses in the electrical box so the ABS light would not show on the instrument petal that this might be the culprit???? Does the ABS pump have to be on to bleed the rear brakes and if so i guess i have to leave the electrical buses and fuses in the panel?
    I get great flow to the front calipers so i am scratching my head on this one. Is it possible that the ABS pump without the fuses and buses is causing the lack of flow on the rear brakes?

2. Oct 24, 2016 at 11:54 AM
    BigThunder

BigThunder [OP] Member

Member:
    Conroe, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 TJ
    okay, figured it out. The ABS shut down when i pulled the fuses and buses out. popped them back in and fluid finally started flowing. now im having problems with the left rear grabbing and smoking. Is this due to air still in the system or is the new caliper not functioning like it should? It all seemed to work perfect when i first took it down the drive and made abrupt stop but then it started with this problem.

3. Oct 24, 2016 at 1:02 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Air would make things squishy, I would think, not make it grab. (note...I am pretty sure that is the first time I have ever written "squishy" in a post.)

I would still double check on bleeding that side just because... Check on the rest while you are there.

4. Oct 24, 2016 at 2:35 PM
    BigThunder

BigThunder [OP] Member

Member:
    Conroe, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 TJ
    LOL on the Squishy. Roger that suggestion. will be glad once this simple project is finally over. :annoyed:

5. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    BigThunder

BigThunder [OP] Member

Member:
    Conroe, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 TJ
    Update. Ended up having a collapsed brake line from abs to rear. Problem solved. Amazing how much I over thought the problem and didn't go with basic issues first. Just couldn't imagine a hard line brake line could collapse so didn't go there. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:05 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Glad you got it figured out. :cheers:

Wheel safe!!

To Top