1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake light works only when car is not running

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by JEFASOLD, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Aug 2, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    JEFASOLD

JEFASOLD [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIM
    Vehicle:
    2002 GRAND CHEROKEE
    NONE
    I'm a newbie on this forum, so I hope this is the right place for this. My left rear brake light does not work when the car is running but it does when the car is not running, This needs to be solved in order to pass inspection. I am somewhat disabled but can still do most of my own work, so any suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. Aug 3, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Welcome to the site!

3. Aug 3, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I want to clarify a few things please. I was hoping someone else would jump on this because it is very difficult to fix an electrical problem without being present, but at least I/we can hopefully point you in the right direction.

1. Have you tried replacing the light bulbs, or did you replace them and this then started happening.
    2. Are you talking about just the brake lights or is it the whole tail light system i.e. brake lights and running lights.
    3. When your car is not running and you say the brake light is working is your key in the ignition turned off or is it in the on position?

If you have not done so, my first thing I would do is replace all the bulbs in both sides of you tail/brake lights. Make sure you don't mix them up as this may cause similar symptoms as to what you are describing above.

JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top