1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can anyone identify the parts on this?

Discussion in 'Jeep CJ' started by g-laus2, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Sep 10, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    g-laus2

g-laus2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    Cj/dj 70s model maybe
    I have NO idea where to start
    So, first off. Totally new to the whole Jeep thing in full. Only experience I have is my dads old 97 wrangler. Well the other day I found a mid 70s cj/dj that I am picking up Saturday morning. It runs and drives and everything, short of needing a new battery cable. I have some pictures of it and was curious if anyone can identify any parts that it has on it. It says on the vin plate that it is a 97 wrangler tub but i am not sure if that’s true or not because I’m pretty positive that it is a cj tub. It is all fiberglass though. Tub, and hood alike. The hood/fenders are all fiberglass and it is a 5 slatFF20A092-E1CE-46EC-90C4-56E15AC830FB.jpg grille. It is pretty unique looking though. I’m not sure what kind of heater or dash plate it has in it either. If someone could help me identify some of these parts it would be amazing! Can’t wait to hear back! -A.G. 168FF1D7-5E7E-4959-B89B-12302C364568.jpg

26F0B302-9673-4D14-B9FF-4EB162502E27.jpg

2. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:57 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @g-laus2 ...looks to be a project. What are your plans with the Jeep? Will it get titled and registered? The vin# should identify the corresponding year make model etc.

3. Sep 11, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Could be a shortened 97 Wrangler frame, does it have coil spring suspension or leaf spring suspension?
    The tub is definitely not a Wrangler tub. Likely an entire kit, maybe you can find a plate or stamp or something with maker info on it.

4. Sep 11, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    g-laus2

g-laus2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    Cj/dj 70s model maybe
    I plan on getting it registered to drive in the road. The vin and title both say that it is a 97, so I am pretty sure someone switched the vin plate out. It is In The engine bay on the driver side and looks like it was simply pop riveted in place. It has leaf spring suspension front and rear, and the Frame sticks out by about a foot forward of the grille. The man I bought it from said it was an old mail truck, and that it had been converted so I am not sure of what to think of it. Thank you for anything you can find in advance and thanks for the warm welcome! I will look tomorrow after I get off work to see if I can find out if it is a kit or something like that. Any updates I will let you know

5. Sep 16, 2020 at 12:14 AM
    g-laus2

g-laus2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    Cj/dj 70s model maybe
    So I am no rocket surgeon but I am fairly confident that this choke plate isn’t supposed to look like this. Also, I looked through the Jeep wiring and some stuff is all sorts of massively screwed up. It has an 87 steering column. A 97 vin tag. A 76 engine. And basically everything other than the frame is made of fiberglass or plastic. Even the rear seat where it folds up into a toolbox is made of fiberglass. This is just wild to me. Also, the starter isn’t wanting to turn over at all. It is a swing arm style starter with only one bolt at the back for a wire to connect from. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to run a second ground to it or not after I get off work this morning I am going to go digging into it some more. Thanks for the support. Waiting to hear back with some farther advice on the choke plate. Thanks! A.G.

26793E16-B89C-4110-B5ED-E42C98F6F6C0.jpg

6. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    Prerunner1982

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    Your carb looks fine, if you were to undo that nut and pull the top piece off it would look like the below.

[​IMG]

7. Sep 16, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    Prerunner1982

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    So it's 2wd? Which would be correct for a DJ5 frame.
    Also the 5 slot grille is DJ5 as well, but it's interesting that the fiberglass kit retained the 5 slot instead of going with a 7 slot grille.

8. Sep 16, 2020 at 11:48 PM
    g-laus2

g-laus2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    Cj/dj 70s model maybe
    That is what I thought too whenever I seen it. I thought it was kind of unique and I haven’t seen one yet after searching on line for a while now. Granted, I’m new to the whole Jeep culture so I may just not be looking in the correct spots or something. I like it though and I feel like I will enjoy it for years to come. Also, I removed the breather and took apart the carb today. It would start and run but it was very choppy so I got on mikes carb and got a full rebuild kit. I will keep you guys updated on the build process. I also removed all of the old wiring that someone had hackjobbed in to put in a Walmart stereo and a set of speakers that were hot glued into old screen top mortar buckets. Some people amaze me lol thanks for all of the advice!

Prerunner1982 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top