1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by weinbottle, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Aug 31, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    weinbottle

weinbottle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mango Tango Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    None
    I have a 2011 Wrangler Sahara, with only 31,000 miles on it, and no engine modifications. A few weeks ago, I got a "Check Engine" light. The car ran fine, could not detect any malfunction, strange noise, or poor performance.

Took it to the dealer, who diagnosed it as a leak in the evaporative system, and replaced the E.S.I.M. module. It seemed OK for about 2 weeks, then the "Check Engine" light came on again. This time, they found a fault code P0300, multiple engine misfire.

They performed a flash of the P.C.M., said it was not related to the earlier incident. However, they said that if I got a another similar fault code, it could mean that I would have to replace the cylinder head.

Today, the check engine light came back on again. I think that if it is the P0300 code again, it does not seem likely that I need a new cylinder head. I am suspicious. Any similar problem out there? Any thoughts at all? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Aug 31, 2016 at 4:58 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
  3. Aug 31, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    weinbottle

weinbottle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    None
    Hi Richard-
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like there could be quite a bit of troubleshooting involved.
    Jon

4. Aug 31, 2016 at 8:15 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Yeah...that one sounds like such a general code it can be a pain. However, in my researching this, I did not come across anything which said replacing the head was called for. Certainly, that does not mean it can't be that but I think there are more probable (and less expensive) things to check on first.

I like this guy's take on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvdWeyDHf4

5. Sep 1, 2016 at 4:54 AM
    bostonbilly

bostonbilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sahara JKU
    Lol. That guy was aewsome. I like how he got straight to the point

C2T likes this.
  6. Sep 13, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    So did this get all straightened out?

7. Sep 15, 2016 at 12:46 PM
    weinbottle

weinbottle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yes. It turned out the error code this last time was not for engine misfires. It was again related to the evaporative system. The dealer replaced the gas tank (at no charge, said the warranty had been extended on the gas tank), and some other evaporative module. They did not charge for the second item, because they felt that the problem had been misdiagnosed the first time around. I think I will stick with dealer. Unfortunately, I now have a "gascap" warning light on the dash. I think it may be related to the gas tank replacement. The dealer will check it out on Monday. I will keep you guys posted.

8. Sep 15, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep

Products Discussed in

To Top