1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CJ trans crossmember belly pan ideas

Discussion in 'CJ' started by Duff, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Mar 13, 2020 at 5:17 AM
    Duff

Duff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    none
    My 85 CJ7 originally came with a 5 speed manual trans, it now has a T 176 4 speed, which I'm having rebuilt. The trans crossmember, AKA belly pan that came on my CJ is in rough condition and needs replaced. Although, it bolts to the frame rails, the trans mount holes didn't line up to the trans mount and the PO used a torch to open them up, It has to be the wrong year for my Jeep. I've looked at after-market trans mounts, but I've decided to go back original. I need to know what years will fit my Jeep without mods and where can I find a pan? Thanks!

2. Mar 14, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    Jim Beam

Jim Beam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Fuel Injection, Dana 44s, T18, 4.10s w/lockers
  3. Mar 14, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    Duff

Member:
    none
    The TDK unit looks good and are probably worth the extra $$$, but now, I have a lead on a good, straight factory piece, just waiting for a price. I looked at the one on my CJ this morning and I believe it's right for the year. I don't know why, but the trans mount holes hit about an inch and a half past the factory holes, towards the rear of the plate. The PO elongated the holes with a torch, so it'd line up with the T-176 trans. I'll have to figure out the alignment issue, before I spend any $$$. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  4. Mar 22, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    Duff

Member:
    none
    I talked with TDK and I'll be ordering their pan soon, also I pulled the trans / T case out tonight,what a greasy mess! I'm sending them both to the rebuilder next week, I'm sure there will be lots of issues inside to fix. ( the trans had water in the lube and has a lot of bearing noise.) I'm going to see if I can find some better/stronger yokes for the the T case, also need a new front driveshaft or have mine redone. I'll post results when I get the parts back. Update: the tag on the dana 300 reads- 5361332 309003-2, according to the Novak site it's a 1980 with the shorter rear case, the trans is probably a 1980 also.

JeepTranny.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. Mar 23, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    Jim Beam

Jim Beam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Fuel Injection, Dana 44s, T18, 4.10s w/lockers
    Thanks for the update. For updating the yokes, you can get the yokes that were used on the earlier CJs that used 5/16" u-bolts instead of those straps with the 1/4" bolts that the newer CJs use. I have them on my CJ on the diffs and the transfer case rear. I did not install one on the front of the transfer case as driveshaft removal would be to complicated. Although I have not really known of any problem from those current u-bolt straps that the later model CJs use. Another option that you can do is to get a 4:1 gearset for the transfer case. These can really slow your CJ down when crawling although it does add considerably more torque which can break things like axles if you mash down on the pedal. On my oem skid plate, I did remove that lower bump that the skid plate has to add move ground clearance. Although my T18 transmission allows that bump to be removed, I am not sure how much clearance your transmission has to remove that bump. Hopefully you have the upgraded axles that the aftermarket does have.

6. Mar 23, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    Duff

Member:
    none
    Yeah, I'm going to go with something bigger than the 1/4 bolt/strap setup, I read somewhere that dana 20 yokes would fit. Axles are the next thing on my to do list, right after I get the clutch, transfer case and transmission done. I'm not the horse I used to be, so I plan on installing the transmission by itself and then the bolt on the T case.

7. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:16 PM
    Duff

Member:
    none
    Back from the car wash, at least now I can see the bolts! Separated the trans and T case today, dropping trans at the rebuilders this week. The T case yokes are in really good condition, so I'll just live with 1/4" bolts and get some new hex head and straps. The 4:1 T cases gearset is too much $$$ for this project and I'll be doing very little if any off roading. If work slows down I may rebuild the T case myself, also the shifter pivot pin is worn and I can't find a new one. Any ideas?

JeepTrannyClean.jpg

To Top