1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch problem on a CJ7

Discussion in 'CJ' started by OFFGRID, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:02 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    So I spent the evening helping a friend get his 84/85 CJ7 started and running after he had the 258 rebuilt. I got it started. While he had the motor out he installed a new LUK clutch kit. He and another friend stabbed in the motor last weekend. Now the problem. The clutch feels like it is continually engaged. The VIN says it is an 84, the title says it is an 85, therefore it should have a hydraulic clutch, but it is a manual clutch like the pre80 CJs. It looks just like my 79 clutch linkage. Upon initial test drive, everything was in neutral including tcase and tranny. Holding clutch pressed to the floor and I put the tcase in gear first I cannot get the trany in gear, and if I put the tranny in gear first the tcase grinds trying to go into gear while pressing clutch to the floor, and if I force it the jeep wants to take off. I've adjusted the linkage to have 1in of peddle play, and still the clutch feels like it is engaged even with it pressed to the floor. I took all of the slack out of the peddle and then some and still get the same symptoms. His clutch linkage looks pretty warn. I would like ya'lls thoughts before I pull the tranny and tcase in order to start from scratch. Not always easy going behind someone elses work. I think I'll adjust the linkage tighter and tighter untill it comes off the threads to see if I can get the pressure plate to disengage before I do the big work. Your thoughts please.

2. Oct 8, 2016 at 6:17 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Ok...standard questions....any chance the disc is installed backwards? Any chance the pilot bearing got damaged? Did the bell housing fit properly or did you pull it together with the bolts?

Probably not a help but it's the best I have to offer at the moment.

3. Oct 8, 2016 at 6:29 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Yeah, I asked him all thos same questions. He could not give me all,of the answers. Sos I'm afraid I will have to pull it all apart. Although the friend who helped him install the motor
    is well respected as a jeep builder. Mistakes do get made.

4. Oct 8, 2016 at 6:33 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Yup, mistakes can happen. Personally, I have not attained perfection yet. lol

Regardless of what it is, I can think of nothing that can be done without taking it back apart.

Good luck with it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  5. Oct 8, 2016 at 6:57 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I will let you know what I find out.

6. Oct 8, 2016 at 7:07 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Good luck...and welcome to the forum.

7. Oct 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Found the problem. When they installed the new throw-out bearing, the single ball bearing behind the clutch fork fell out.

8. Oct 8, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    Glad you found it and it was simple (as much as disassembling all that again can be anyway).

To Top