1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CLUTCH will not fully engage

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by SealmanM2, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Sep 3, 2016 at 5:01 AM
    SealmanM2

SealmanM2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    1987 Jeep YJ
    None
    I have a 1897 YJ with the the 4.2 L straight 6, Peugeot BA transmission. I lost reverse and had the rear bearing replaced, then the engine pulled, bored and totally re-built to include a new clutch. Now CLUTCH issues?? The shop that rebuilt the engine and installed the clutch cannot get the clutch to engage or get in to go into gear without about breaking the shifter. Supposedly their is a rod in the clutch cylinder (I guess something like a slave cylinder?) that is worn on the end and is not allowing the clutch to fully engage????? Does anyone have any suggestion or a good reliable shop to haul it to so that I can get this issue behind me?

ALSO, is there any alternative manufacturers to the Peugeot transmission? After reading up on them, reverse issues are a problem and a very weak transmission overall so I'd like to totally replace it if anything is out there.

Thanks for your input.

2. Sep 3, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    The Peugeot BA was a bit of a problem tranny it seems. While not an answer to your request about a shop to do the work, you may wish to consider an AX15 tranny. "While it is possible to rebuild a BA10/5, the general weakness of the hard parts and the tendency of the case to stretch (which results in gears not meshing as designed to) make this prospect less logical. It is possible and recommended to upgrade to a more durable transmission."

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/ba10-5

OFFGRID likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    So what did you end up doing? Did you decide to upgrade to an AX15 or AX5??

4. Oct 5, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Novak recommends against the AX5. They don't even make adapters for them because they feel they are so inferior to other better suited Trannys. The AX15 is a much better upgrade and can be found for low bucks. I bought one less than a year ago ready to bolt in for $250.00 I agree with Richard on the peugeot as well. I would upgrade before I rebuild.

C2T likes this.
To Top