1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooling and fuel

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by Sloppyseconds, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Jul 31, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds [OP] Member

Member:
    Howdy, been into Jeeps forever. Modded my 95' with:
    1984 Chevy 5.7L 350
    1979 TH400 trans
    NP 241 transfer case
    4.88 gears w/ 35" tires
    This mod has been driven for 8 years now, but I am constantly having fuel problems, and cooling issues.
    FUEL: electric pump (currently a Carter supplying a Edelbrock 650 carb)
    ISSUE: external mounted pump near tank, mounted to frame where the parking brake cable is split. Inside that "skid plate" just in front of rear axle on drivers side. Problem with having to develop a syphon feed, instead of gravity feed, or pump inside tank. This results in premature pump failure and/or poor fuel delivery. I'm looking for an IN TANK solution, that can feed a carb (low psi.)

COOLING: currently, I have a 4 row downflow radiator. My temps are too high...220* I understand that the entire cooling circuit does not contain enough capacity to offer stable cooling. So I need a way. No, i need THE SOLUTION to this problem. Like a double pass radiator, and/or a means to increase overall capacity. And some of these radiators are ridiculously expensive...any thoughts?

2. Jul 31, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    Jim Beam

Jim Beam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Fuel Injection, Dana 44s, T18, 4.10s w/lockers
    Interesting, I have been using an external mounted fuel pump for about 12 years now and it seems to work pretty good. It has a t.b.i. on the original 258. Have you considered using a manual pump as your carb should only require around 4-5 p.s.i. of fuel to it. On my setup, I can remove the fuel line prior to the pump, loosen the gas cap and fuel will run out freely indicating a siphon setup. For your cooling you have quite a large radiator, but do you have anything similar to what these guys make?:https://www.championradiators.com/

3. Jul 31, 2019 at 5:56 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
    My crossmember motor mounts will not allow for a mechanical fuel pump. That's why I'm hunting a good electrical set up. So far Holley carb pumps have crapped out, and now this Carter... there has to be a way to utilize an internal pump, and regulate it down to 4psi. I just need some solid direction. Whether a bypass regulator and a regular regulator in series. I'm really hoping someone that has success with this engine swap can respond with "I did this exactly like this..." with these products (list products). Because 8 years of hunting around is starting to really suck.
    The link you provided is the route I'd like to try. I just need a product to look at for a direct conversion swap. I want to take my inexperience or guessing out of the equation.

4. Jul 31, 2019 at 6:51 PM
    Jim Beam

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    You might have an issue with not getting enough gas to the pump which can overheat it, touching it after a drive could detect that. An important part of getting the siphon to work is adequate gas tank ventilation. The CJ oem fuel tank vent setup is quite good if it is working correctly. A good test for that would be to remove the gas cap after a moderate drive, you should not be able to hear any air coming into the tank, as air has to replace the fuel being used up. The CJ does have a vented gas cap, but it takes a bit of vacuum to open it up, as it is designed for a mechanical pump.

5. Jul 31, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum dude @Sloppyseconds . Some awesome mods there. Good luck with your issue. Your in good hands with Jim Beam.....

6. Jul 31, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
    Yes. My pump becomes quite warm... when I removed the multi port injected engine and pump, I went back with just a tube and a "sock" inside the gas tank. The tank has 2 vent ports on the top of the tank with 1/4 inch lines plumbed to the vents. The event line is open at the end thereby relieving stored vacuum or evaporative pressure. The return line (for the old pump) which returned fuel to the tank via a bypass regulator has been plugged (bolt installed at end of tube with a ring clamp). I can't improve the "venting" beyond that. I even ran the jeep without a gas cap which did not improve my situation. I should not have to mount a fuel cell in place of the back seat to develope a gravity feed... I'm lost as to how to proceed.

7. Jul 31, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
    Maybe I need to check the vents on top of tank to verify that they are not clogged or the hose dont have mud daubers in it...

8. Jul 31, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
  9. Aug 1, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    Jim Beam

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Nice pic, Hopefully your sock has not gotten clogged up, blowing into the fuel outlet line can help. I did see an aftermarket sock for Jeeps that was made from stainless steel screen through one of the big box 4wd outfits. You should have your fuel filter located before the pump to keep it clean. I like fuel filters similar to the Fram G3802A as it is a free flowing unit. With your pump located close to the tank it should work. I have heard of guys not changing out the oem fuel line that comes from the tank, if this gets old and cracks, that will cause problems with fuel delivery.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  10. Aug 1, 2019 at 10:17 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
    I redid all my fuel line. I use 3/8" brake lines (steel) from my tank to carb. Obviously, rubber where needed (like going into tank, regulator, fuel filters) but I liked being able to bend them nice and clean. Put a flare on the ends to grab onto the rubber. I use the free flowing filters as well. One right out of the tank, one right before the carb. All clean. I checked my top of tank vents and they are clear... also, I had removed the old internal pump and just forgot I had done that.
    So I'm kind of at a loss. I really just want an in tank pump that can needle down to 4psi.
    Tired of fuel delivery problems...

JKBob 25 likes this.
  11. Aug 2, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    Jim Beam

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    I have seen setups like you have work, even with a fuel injection. It does sound like a fuel delivery issue as the fuel pump does get warm. Another possible issue is getting full charging voltage to the pump. I had that problem once and with some fancy wiring work now get 14.5 volts to it. I am not sure why you can't install the electric pump back in from post#6, although this would require a regulator. Another pump option would be like this one:https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/fuel-system/cj-fuel-module/, but not sure if it would fit in the Wrangler tank hole. Here is another option, but would require a larger hole to put it through:http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...duct_id=84/category_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm. A call to a custom hot rod shop might be of some help.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  12. Aug 6, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
    I may have solved the fuel problem. Last time I dropped my tank, I believe I pinched my vent tubes upon reinstalling.
    Now onto my COOLING problem

13. Aug 6, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
    Just to firm up, I replaced everything from fuel sock to pump (no regulator) fuel line, all rubber, and electrical. That's kinda how I roll... so I need a solution to cooling

14. Aug 6, 2019 at 8:11 PM
    Jim Beam

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    You could just remove the hood, I saw them do that on Roadkill.

JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  15. Aug 7, 2019 at 11:12 AM
    Sloppyseconds

Member:
    Haha... could for off road. But not really an option. Plus I need to feel confident in cooling system. But definitely some mad max points for solution

JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top