1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CPS Damaged

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by Pierce168, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Oct 24, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    Pierce168

Pierce168 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
    Just replaced rear main seal, flywheel, disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, fork and release bearing. All are from Luk (highly reputable). Spent 17 hours replacing it all. Started car, ran for maybe 5 seconds then died. Did this multiple times. Took out crankshaft position sensor and it was scored and damaged. This is my second time replacing a clutch on this car. First time went very well so I did the same thing this time. I don't recall any allignment markings on the flywheel or pressure plate. I'm pretty certain the mounting bolts for the flywheel are not symmetrical so it can only be installed one way. There were dowels on the flywheel that I assumed are for the pressure plate but they wouldn't go through any holes in the pressure plate so I just alligned the 6 mounting bolts and bolted it on just fine. My questions are:

1: was there supposed to be a way for the flywheel to be alligned to the crankshaft?

2: is the pressure plate supposed to be specifically alligned to the flywheel?

3: what could cause the new flywheel to score the CPS?

I have a 3.8 liter V6 Rubicon.
    Please. I am at a loss here and don't know where to begin. I really hope I don't have to redo the whole clutch kit over again.

Products Discussed in

To Top