1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cracked windshield

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by susifroggy, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Jan 8, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    susifroggy

susifroggy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hard top
    So I have a new 2016 jeep wrangler 2 door hard top less than 4000 miles on her and drove it to work early yesterday morning. I drive a school bus and had an all day field trip. My jeep was parked in a gated lot all day. When I got back and started driving home a crack forms from the band in the middle and as I drive home it continues to crack to almost the end of the driver's side of the windshield. I was in shock because it was not there when I left early in the morning and today looking at it closer and the only point of what might be the impact point I'm guessing, was smaller than a pinhead dot. Had never felt anything hit the windshield and can only conclude that the cold weather here in Michigan could have caused it.
    My thoughts are, is this a manufactured defect? I live in Michigan and we have cold winters. My vehicle before this was a jeep liberty and it had been hit by a stone that left quite a large mark but never grew after many years. I have insurance but with a $100 deductible. I have read some other forums and some have claimed the same issue and brought to dealer and Jeep replaced free of charge.
    Anyone else?

2. Jan 8, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    You may try to get it warrantied, especially if you can't see a point of impact. If they don't warranty it you could file it on your insurance.

3. Jan 8, 2017 at 1:06 PM
    susifroggy

susifroggy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Called the insurance company as soon as I got home and it would be only 100 bucks deductable but still it is brand new and apparently is not uncommon in the band around the shield. Not that $100 dollars is a lot of money but I just bought the darn thing.

4. Jan 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM
    susifroggy

susifroggy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    There's no way that a quality windshield should crack by pressure or temperature change unless they put an eggshell for a windshield in there

5. Jan 8, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    It is common for this to happen if you get even a small impact right on the very edge of the glass. Then the changes in temp due to running your defroster will cause the glass to flex (due to uneven heating) and a crack forms. Jeep glass can usually take a pretty hard hit but not right on the edge. I wish they would find a way to deal with that as I don't think it would be hard to do.

chris4x4 likes this.
  6. Jan 9, 2017 at 3:07 AM
    susifroggy

susifroggy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    We can fly to the moon but we can't do this? Lol by the way the only sign of impact is about a quarter of an inch above the edge. There's a dot smaller than the head of a pin

7. Jan 13, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Yup...if it had been another inch or so higher, you likely would not have a cracked windshield. It makes me wonder why there is no protection on those edges. I have wondered a time or two if some of 3M's film made to protect paint from chips would, as a thin strip (maybe 1" or so) along the edges, might protect the windshield. Just one of many "little voices" I hear from time to time but I have never bothered to look into it.

8. Jan 30, 2017 at 5:18 AM
    DaveSR

DaveSR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Rubicon
    You may want to check with a couple of glass shops. Some will waive the deductible or it may cost less to just pay for it out-of-pocket. There may have been a stress placed on the windshield as a result of the "fence" , the area the glass rests in, having been distorted during manufacturing and a small chip can cause a crack to form. Today windshield are usually not too expensive. Good Luck!

9. Jan 30, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Wow! So I need a new windshield on my 2010 Chevy 2500, and I called Affordable auto glass here in Houston, and they quoted me $136.20 installed. I would call around before you file with your insurance. That is less than deductible.

Products Discussed in

To Top