1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"D" flashing on gear shifter

Discussion in 'Cherokee' started by mgrosheim, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Oct 10, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    mgrosheim

mgrosheim [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
    This has happened to me twice this week and I'm hoping someone might have had experience with it in the past (my local dealer is clueless when it comes to just about anything).

I'm sitting at a red light. The light turns green. I take my foot off the brake and apply it to the gas. The engine revs, the vehicle doesn't move, and drive ("D") on the gear shifter starts flashing.

I have to put the vehicle into park until the drive indicator stops flashing stops flashing and then put it back into drive. It takes a few seconds (may 5-10)before the drive indicator illuminates, and then it drives fine.

This has happened to me twice in the last week. Any thoughts? Maybe electrical, transmission, unknown?

2. Oct 10, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    Awrench

Awrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 jeeps
    Am I reading correctly - the D3 starts flashing?
    see your dealer, get a repair order generated.

two thoughts -
    1) god willing you do NOT have auto stop.
    2) I Believe the flashing is a mismatch between the selected gear and the actual gear, that is the gear the trans is in.

3. Oct 10, 2019 at 2:50 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Welcome @mgrosheim ...as stated the local dealer is the best place to take your JGC. Intermittent trans problem may show up when they scan for specific codes. I'd say your trans is giving you some warning signs. Report back what codes are found or the trans problem. That's the primary reason why my JK has the 6 spd manual....and avoiding the god willing dang auto-stop found in the newer models.

4. Oct 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    mgrosheim

mgrosheim [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll be making an appointment at another dealer/service nearby - the one where I bought it is rather useless. It's not throwing any codes, hopefully they can shed more light on it. And, no, it does not have auto-stop.

To Top