1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

D44 rear E-Brake Shoe replacement

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by jeepinghillbilly, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Dec 25, 2016 at 1:08 PM
    jeepinghillbilly

jeepinghillbilly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hillbilly
    WV
    Vehicle:
    99 TJ / 79 CJ5
    99 TJ locked/locked, 4" lift, 1" body lift, skids and more skids, geared 4.88s, super shorty sye, all Rockmen adjustable arms, D44 rear, D30 front, all disc brakes, AX15 manual 5 speed, waren winch, currie tie rod, a drop down tail gate and heater relays upgrade to keep my heater switch from melting lol, and lots more stuff. 79 CJ5 with 4.0 swap
    A member was asking how to do this in another thread so I figured I would post this old how to I did years ago up for people to use as a reference if needed. Its written assuming that the person knows how to remove the caliper and rotor. If not and someone needs it, I have a write up on that too. This is on my 99 TJ years ago but all are basically the same. Hope it helps someone.

This is an emergency brake shoe repair on a d44 rear axle with disc brakes. This can be done without taking the axle out but I had it out for a wheel bearing repair and decided to go ahead and clean up my emergency brake parts and shoes. With the axle out it makes the clarity of the procedure easier for you to see also.

If you have never doe this before I recommend doing one side at a time so you can look at the other side for reference if you need it.

#1 Start by raising your Jeeps rear and put jack stands under the frame as far to the rear as you can. Pull your wheels off.

#2 Remove the rotor and calipers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Without the axles out yours will look like this. Just reach behind the axle hub and do the same thing. Its really not to hard with the axle in.

[​IMG]

#3 You now have access to your emergency brake parts and shoes. Take the top spring loose with a pair of needle nose pliers. If you have brake spring pliers they make a much easier job. Mine have decided to play hide and seek so I just used needle nose pliers.

[​IMG]

#4 now take the lower spring loose and the star adjuster out.

[​IMG]

#5 Now take the shoes of by pushing in on the retainer spring in the photo and push the pin upwards to release the shoe. Do this on both shoes.

[​IMG]

# 6 At this point I cleaned up all parts with brake cleaner and then PB blasted the cable in the back and the mechanism so everything was clean.

[​IMG]

#7 Now get your new shoes out and make sure the right ends are facing each other. The bottom of both shoes should have a slot in the center for the star adjuster and the end that fits the slot of the cable end and has an ear on top but not the bottom. Now hold the pins from behind and put the retainer springs on the face of the shoe by pushing in and sliding them down.

[​IMG]

#8 Now slide the shoes into the cable mechanism slot at the top. See the photo below.

[​IMG]

#9 Now put the star adjuster in with the tube side facing the front of your Jeep and put the bottom spring in.

[​IMG]

#10 Now put the top spring in and make sure it is still in the mechanism slot on each side and that the bottom is still lined up and the star is in place at the bottom. Also make sure the spring pass's under the cable mechanism like shown in the photo.

[​IMG]

There ya have it! Now just put caliper and rotor back on then adjust the e-brake shoes. Do this by turning the star adjuster till the shoes just drag on the rotor when turning it. Then back off till they just stop dragging the rotor. Your done!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2016
    C2T, chris4x4 and 916RubiJeep like this.
  2. Dec 25, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    916RubiJeep

916RubiJeep Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    15JKUR Auto
    None :( Yet
    Nice write up. Appreciate you putting this together.

jeepinghillbilly[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 26, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Vety nice write up!

4. Dec 26, 2016 at 8:52 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
  5. Jan 2, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    Swampwolfforge

Swampwolfforge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 YJ 4.0 and manual 5 speed, 2004 LJ Automatic, 6 cylinder
    Thank you!

To Top