1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Daily driver/trail rig project

Discussion in 'Jeep CJ Builds' started by SILVERBACK0508, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Mar 30, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

SILVERBACK0508 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    I bought my 1980 CJ-7 about four months ago and haven't really done anything to it because of college, but the intention is to keep it pretty much stock and use it as a daily driver/trail rig. My biggest problem right now is that the AMC I6 doesn't hold oil, but it's also gutless in fifth, and has to be in four wheel drive if I don't want to run it at 4000 rpm. I figured I'd just give the engine a rebuild and work out any issues it still has after that, but I can't find a rebuild kit anywhere on the internet. If anybody knows of an auto parts store in Southern Oregon or a website that sells a rebuild kit or at least the gaskets and seals I need, I'd love to know about it thanks. I'll post pictures when I start working on it.

2. Mar 30, 2017 at 8:25 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Might be just as cost effective to just replace the engine, rather than a rebuild. Just my thoughts.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Mar 30, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Summitracing.com is the best place for online rebuild kits. They carry everything you'll need. Get you a Comp cam extreme 4x4 kit to really wake up that motor with lots of low end grunt. You lacking power could also be a very high axle ratio like 2.73 or 3.07. On another note, you may not need a rebuild. Jeeps with 258 are notorious for oil leaks everywhere especially from the valve cover and extra especially if you still have the factory plastic valve cover. Make sure your pcv valves are new and working too. The only way to seal the valve cover is to make sure surfaces are clean, get the thicker cork gasket and coat both sides with thin layer of RTV before installing. My leaks were giving me such a hassle that when I did my frame swap I went ahead and broke the motor down to block and head, cleaned it all, repainted it, put it all back together with all new gaskets. So no more leaks, with fingers crossed.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. Mar 30, 2017 at 10:22 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    chris4X4: The problem I find with replacing the engine is finding another one, I really want to keep the same model engine in it. Plus it's been a while since I rebuilt an engine it'll give me something to do. Thanks for the comment though.

OFFGRID: Thanks for all of that info I don't think I can afford the cam kit anytime soon, but I'll definitely check up on the rest of the points you made.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  5. Mar 31, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Please post a thread detailing your progress when you start this. I would love to follow along!

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. Mar 31, 2017 at 9:56 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    If you replace the Oil pan gasket get a 1piece molded rubber or polymer gasket. Apply rtv (I only use Right stuff) in the front and rear corners. I used Fell Pro.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  7. Oct 22, 2017 at 2:01 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Alright guys I know it's been half a year, but I have until January to work on my Jeep and I've also made the money to do a fairly extensive rebuild. The plan remains the same I'm going to keep the Jeep pretty much stock so that I can use it as a daily driver and lite trail rig. I was hoping that I would be able to paint it with a colored rhino lining or something, but I didn't make that much money so I guess I'll make it run good before making it look good.
    I still have to rebuild the engine, but I happened to find a company that sells engine rebuild kits through eBay. This kit includes a full gasket set, pistons, rings, (main, rod, and cam bearings), camshaft, lifters, timing set, and an oil pump. I do have a few more projects to add though.

(1) Rebuild the transfer case as that seems to be the reason I have to drive around with my front wheels.
    (2) Wiring harness, I'm buying a "not so painless for my wallet" performance wiring harness simply because I don't feel like figuring out how to repair the existing one, this might change if funds get tight.
    (3) Windshield wiper linkage, the linkage broke while I was in Montana and I've had to manually operate them since, which is a huge pain, I will also grab a wiper motor cover.
    (4) A new Quadratec QR3 bumper set front, rear, and side step this will include an 8000 lb Quadratec winch.
    (5) Wheels and tires, these are going to be Dick Cepek Fun Country 32X11.50X15 on 15"X8" Cragar Series 310 White Nomads, I like white wheels and this combo should look really nice.
    And lastly miscellaneous things like gaskets for the doors, lift gate, and tailgate, a new glove box to replace the ancient radio sitting in its place, a walnut steering wheel, and finally some new shocks.
    After adding everything up this project of mine is going to cost around $5595.91 including the tools I was missing and some other frivolities that I don't feel like subtracting from that number right now. I was planning on making videos of this project, so if that happens I'll add a link to them in each post. I'll be starting work here in a week or two due to the bank holding funds, shipping, and just life in general holding things up. Keep an Eye out because my next post will show me tearing down at least the front clip.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    JKBob 25 likes this.
  8. Oct 22, 2017 at 2:06 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Oh! And a little side note I might also be working an a Gambler 500 project, so if anyone's interested in that I'll start a new thread for it if it all pans out.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  9. Oct 22, 2017 at 6:04 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Following this "little" CJ rebuild. And welcome back. Was wondering about the CJ project.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  10. Oct 22, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Yeah, I got held up with work and school, and since the CJ still ran I didn't prioritize fixing it.

11. Oct 22, 2017 at 6:15 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Same here. I'm subbed. Look forward to your posts Kyle.

12. Oct 27, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Okay this post is a little off topic, but I bought a 79 Chevy LUV for my gambler 500 project if anybody's interested in this I'll start working on it immediately after the Jeep is done.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  13. Oct 30, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
  14. Oct 30, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Pretty. I love a nice looking CJ-7.

15. Oct 30, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Wow. For an 80. Looks like it's in awesome shape. Look forward to following this. :popcorn:

16. Oct 30, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Okay guy's I started working on the Jeep itself. My plan today was to simply drain fluids coolant, oil, tranny, and transfer case fluid, that plan quickly went out the window. What I ended up doing was draining everything besides the transfer case (I couldn't find the drain plug) and proceeded to take off the odds and ends attached to the fenders eventually the passenger side fender and radiator were removed. I was surprised that every bolt (apart from one on the rocker panel) came off without breaking, this is probably because I forgot about my impact wrench and was using hand tools for most of today's work. Both radiator hoses were difficult to remove especially the lower hose which took up almost a quarter of the work time. I'm hoping I didn't break the radiator while taking that lower hose off, but I think I did. The nipple its mounted on was wiggling up and down and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that.

Something I'm kind of beating myself over the head about is NOT TAKING PICTURES! I'm sure a lot of you don't want to have to sit through a fifteen minute video just to see what I'm working on, so I'll try to be better about that. I did film myself doing all of this and there will be a link below. The video is around eleven minutes long so it's not too bad, I would appreciate some input on them though if you don't mind. Any ideas, complaints, or preferences will be taken into account on my next video. All that aside I'll finish removing the front clip tomorrow this will also be filmed and hopefully if I can remember PHOTOGRAPHED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8-qpjlIdw

JKBob 25, chris4x4 and Bob like this.
  17. Oct 31, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    Great video!!! I dig the Time lapse!

18. Oct 31, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    kinda dig the music too........:anonymous:

19. Oct 31, 2017 at 7:36 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Do you have a Dana 300 or Dana 20?

20. Oct 31, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    OFFGRID: I really don't know. I kind of half looked at the number plates a while back, but couldn't figure out what it was. It's got one low range and two high ranges I don't know if that would help you to figure it out. I'll look at it again today anyway and see if I can give you an answer by the afternoon.

To Top