1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Daily driver/trail rig project

Discussion in 'Jeep CJ Builds' started by SILVERBACK0508, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Dec 5, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

SILVERBACK0508 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Apart from a few broken bolts and studs it all came apart real easy.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  2. Dec 5, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    How was the cross hatch in the cylinders. Was there much of a ridge on top? Are you going to hone and re-ring it or are you going to bore it and get new pistons and rings. They way your set up looks like a ring job. I saw the MB in the back ground. Looks like a donor motor for the next Jeep build. I would really like to see that.

3. Dec 5, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    I didn't really take a good enough look at the cylinders to see the cross hatch, but the ring ridge was fairly minute maybe a thousandth based on my handy dandy fingernail. I'll do a cheapy dingle ball hone and the pistons and rings come with the rebuild kit I'm trying to get, so yes those will be replaced. That Mercedes in the background is one of two that my grandfather owns. One is a little diesel four banger which he tries to use daily. The one in the shop hasn't run in a few years I think my cousins literally dropped the transmission out on the highway and so it got parked. In short it is unfortunately not going to be used as a donor vehicle.

4. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    There is an adapter to mate that 5cyl diesel in the MB that is parked to a AX15. There is a company that makes everything you need to drop it into any jeep with I6. Just a thought for future projects.

5. Dec 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Thanks for the idea.

6. Dec 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Here's a little update on the head and crank shaft. Quality Auto has fully inspected both and found that the head is perfectly fine. I'm still going to replace the valve seals, but otherwise it's fit as a fiddle. They said that the crank shaft needed to be ground because there was some wear on it, so I gave them the go ahead to do that. The inspection cost me $50 and the grind is going to cost either $130 or $180. I forgot to ask if they included the inspection when giving me the price.

JKBob 25 and chris4x4 like this.
  7. Dec 7, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I assume this means you'll have to order thicker bearings to take up the slack in addition to your rebuild kit. By the way what rebuild kit are you ordering. I haven't done any rebuilds on a jeep before, but see it in my future.

8. Dec 7, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    It's a deal I found on eBay. The kit is from Redline Engine Supply they call it their master engine rebuild kit. Gaskets, pistons, rings, cam, (main, cam, and rod) bearings, oil pump, lifters, timing set, rear main seal, valve stem seals, and some freeze plugs. All for a little less than $400 the only thing is that they need the measurements for the cylinder bore and for the main, rod, and cam journals, which is why I haven't ordered it yet.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Dec 7, 2017 at 10:10 AM
    OFFGRID

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Take pictures when you get it and post them please. Would really like to see what you get.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  10. Dec 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Yeah no problem.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  11. Dec 30, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Okay, so I know it's been awhile since I posted anything, and that is because I've gone into panic mode. I'm getting super close to my deadline (7/1/18) and I'm still waiting for parts, so I kind of blasted thru everything I could and forgot to film or photo any of the process. The major thing I got accomplished was the transfer case rebuild I finished putting it together yesterday and got it installed on the transmission today, just waiting for a couple of seals I broke and that will be completely done. The other thing I got done was shocks and wheels. Like I've said before I was trying to get some 32" tires, but I switched it up from a Fun Country all terrain and went with a Cooper Discoverer STT Pro mud tire. These new tires just make the Jeep. I still can't get over how good it looks now. I had to ditch the Nomad White Cragars because they were back ordered and I ran out of money. The shocks are a generic brand that I got from Quadratec and they were a b$!ch to install, took a lot of love with a dead blow to get them on there. The last thing I did was to put the fenders and wiring back on the Jeep. I did this to save time with the final assembly because I kind of need every hour I can get to rebuild, install, and test the engine. I will take some pictures and upload what little footage I have tomorrow, just to give you a visual on my progress.

OFFGRID, aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  12. Dec 31, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Before I post my progress just wanted you guy's to know that the multi-tool came in! Thanks A Bunch Guys!GOPR0409.jpg

chris4x4 likes this.
  13. Dec 31, 2017 at 3:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Great pic!

14. Dec 31, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Yeah I kinda try harded that one. Haha.

chris4x4 likes this.
  15. Dec 31, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Okay so here are some pictures of the rebuilt transfer case. There isn't much to them, but I'll try to add some info about the rebuild above each picture.

I ended up using an entire tube of grey RTV when assembling this Dana 300 because the manual you get from Novak Conversions tells you to apply RTV even when trying to find the correct end play in the output shafts. This meant that I had to clean the RTV off of the transfer case and reapply it every time I got the end play wrong. Look at that clean T-case. Pretty! Pretty! Shiny! Shiny!
    GOPR0395 (2).jpg

I actually ended up buying the wrong rebuild kit for this T-case twice. The first time I bought the Dana 20 rebuild kit before I found out that what I had was a Dana 300. The second time I ended up buying the short output Dana 300 rebuild kit when I actually had the long output version. I was able to use the rebuild kit because most of the parts were interchangeable like all of the gaskets and bearings and most of the shims. What wasn't interchangeable I just left out and reused the original part. Some of the parts I had to reuse included the input shaft bearing retaining snap ring and the idler gear shaft. Just goes to show research is important!
    GOPR0382 (2).jpg

I found out that I didn't even have to rebuild my transfer case after figuring out how it worked. Turns out my issues with having to run the jeep in 4-wheel drive all the time were due to operator error. I didn't know that the T-case has to be in 2-high for the rear wheels to work. I had assumed that you left the T-case in neutral and the transmission somehow worked without it, but I was wrong.
    GOPR0387 (2).jpg

I found out that installing the shifting rods can be hazardous to your eye sight. There are a couple of poppet balls that hold the T-case in a certain gear and when trying to install them you're compressing a fairly powerful spring with a ball bearing on top of it, and when your tool slips off of it those parts come shooting out of there at a substantial velocity. Fricken thing grazed my cheek as it flew past me and lost itself in the shop!
    GOPR0389 (2).jpg

The single hardest part of this whole process was finding some ways to use my press when assembling everything. You have to perform literal Dana 300 gymnastics to position it in the press properly.
    GOPR0391 (2).jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    aggrex and chris4x4 like this.
  16. Dec 31, 2017 at 11:00 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  17. Jan 1, 2018 at 12:15 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    OFFGRID and JKBob 25 like this.
  18. Jan 1, 2018 at 12:43 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    And these are some pics that go with the walk around video.

Here's the jeep from the passenger side.GOPR0343.jpg
    Drivers side. You can see the new walnut steering wheel through the window.
    GOPR0352.jpg

Tailgate and tire rack with brand new Bestop tire coverGOPR0349.jpg

A look into the jeep from the rear.GOPR0354.jpg

The brand new walnut steering wheel that cost me $120 and it was worth every penny. It was also pretty easy to install. Still slides around a bit though I don't know why.GOPR0363.jpg

I removed the old broken radio and put in a glove box. I think it really cleans up the dash.GOPR0370.jpg
    The glove box itself is made of plastic and that aluminum piece is the latch for the glove box door. I got all of these little upgrades from Quadratec.
    GOPR0375.jpg
    Here is an up close look at the latch for the glove box door. The little door button that I bought didn't come with this piece, so I filed it down out of a piece of aluminum. I'm actually kind of proud of this, it took me a few tries to get right.
    GOPR0377.jpg

OFFGRID, JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  19. Jan 1, 2018 at 1:09 PM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
  20. Jan 3, 2018 at 12:57 AM
    SILVERBACK0508

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1980 Jeep CJ 7 black
    Pretty much stock
    Are you ready for more!!! Of course you are. Today I removed the last two cam bearings from the block without a cam bearing install/removal tool. Just an FYI this is beyond backyard butchery, you should never do what I did to these poor bearings. But they're out and I filmed the whole thing for your viewing enjoyment. In greater more important news My Rebuild Kit Is Coming In Tomorrow!! so OFFGRID get ready for your pics. This is so awesome. I'm really excited cant you guys tell. For those who don't want to watch the video I'll be taking some pics tomorrow, and I'll add some little tidbits of information above each pic when I post them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4TfgwmkdKM&list=PLrUAecHGXqTzvXZDjc-RQY_NA3d7bzzH4&index=15

JKBob 25, OFFGRID and chris4x4 like this.
To Top