1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

death wobble question

Discussion in 'Wrangler JL (2018+)' started by AGeezerAndHisJeep, May 11, 2022.

1. May 11, 2022 at 1:50 PM
    AGeezerAndHisJeep

AGeezerAndHisJeep [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2022 2 door Sport S
    tow base plate, side rails
    I just bought a 2022 2 door Wrangler Sport S and when looking through the Jeep forums I came across a lot of posts about the Jeep death wobble. I had never had this issue with the earlier Jeeps I owned (2 Libertys and a Renegade, all Trail Rated *) but reading about this made me do some research online. One of the articles I read said that FCA had identified the source of the problem and issued both a recall and a fix for it back in (I think it was) 2019. **

So, having read that, I wondered if it was still a problem with newer Jeeps (like my 2022) and, if so, does it show up only in those who do a lot of rock crawling? Or does it also show up in those who just drive on normal paved and/or smooth roads?

My main concern is not that it would happen to me when driving. I guess I would just slow down, stop and get started again which I believe fixes it, but whether I might see this while towing the Wrangler behind an RV. I would just as soon get where I wanted to go without finding everything all screwed up from the Jeep wobbling and destroying the towing equipment.

* I guess I now have a real Jeep. :)

** See here.

2. May 11, 2022 at 6:28 PM
    MTgeezer

MTgeezer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    55 CJ 3B
    Everything. sbc/AGEM22W/"Super"D18/D44s-ARBs/glass-Aluminum tub-fenders-hood-grill
    I think death wobble is a potential problem on all the solid axle front suspensions. All the MB/GPW/CJ/Willys wagon & trucks and the FC's can suffer that malady. My JK started doing that with 32 k on the odometer. I replaced the tie rod/drag link with Currie items and replaced the track bar heim joint with a much heavier greasable version along with new poly bushings on the other end. That fixed the problem

for now-------- I suspect ball joints and control arm bushings are next on the list.

JKBob 25 and aggrex like this.
  3. May 13, 2022 at 4:52 PM
    o|||||||o

o|||||||o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    JK
    A few.
    Well, I was driving 35mph trying to get to the shop and had to stop every 100 yrds or so. I wasn’t scared but it was a mess to get there … no joke. They took it over right away, too unsafe to drive anymore ..

Had the front and half of the rear rebuilt due to an $&@4(73’dk mechanic who had installed my lift without proper alignment.

0FCCDBE1-2986-4516-80BB-5A711DAE8364.jpg

4. May 13, 2022 at 9:15 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    WOW....Dat sucks. And I know is quite costly. :spending::annoyed:

5. May 14, 2022 at 7:16 AM
    o|||||||o

Member:
    Vehicle:
    JK
    A few.
    It was $4,000 to fix it, yup.
    All good since then, even better now with the long arms! Ha! However, wasn’t able to test drive much as I am down with Covid since I got him back .. UGH.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  6. May 14, 2022 at 7:34 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Hope you bounce back real soon. Here’s something to make you smile. 86B9C1E1-0B3F-4B4E-AFBC-AB127D9268DD.jpg

LYFZGOOD and JKBob 25 like this.
  7. May 14, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    o|||||||o

Member:
    Vehicle:
    JK
    A few.
    LOL.

It’s indeed no joke. UGH. ‍

To Top