1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Delete catalytic converter? or not.

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by gowenby2002, May 24, 2021.

1. May 24, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    gowenby2002

gowenby2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 white TJ 4.0 auto
    stock late model wheels/street tires with adapters, 7 in. stock type fender flares, 4 core rad/elec.fan, all LED lights, spray-in bed liner in cab, front home-made tow brackets for flat-tow
    Have 2002 total stock 4.0 auto Wrangler 183,000 miles. Good idea to delete catalytic converter or not? do not see any O2 sensors anywhere in exhaust system.

2. May 24, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Due to the age and @183k the exhaust system may break apart during disassembly. If the CAT is deleted there may be an issue passing inspection with the local DMV or a persistent CEL. But a fresh CAT could be like a fresh set of lungs.

3. May 24, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    gowenby2002

gowenby2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 white TJ 4.0 auto
    stock late model wheels/street tires with adapters, 7 in. stock type fender flares, 4 core rad/elec.fan, all LED lights, spray-in bed liner in cab, front home-made tow brackets for flat-tow
    Thanks for response, after double checking while installing a trans cooler, it does have o2 sensors. one downstream from each manifold cat., then two exhaust pipes join together that goes back 3 ft. to a larger cat., then to factory muffler. What I was thinking of is to do away with the cat. at the muffler as there is NO o2 sensors after the two at the exhaust manifold. Just wondering has any body else done this with no problems as I don't want to cause a lot of problems that I now do not have, thought it might help it breathe a little better. Thanks again for your thoughts and experiences and comments...

4. May 24, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    gowenby2002

gowenby2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 white TJ 4.0 auto
    Also do not have any DMV inspections to deal with( this is FL, still have just one or two freedoms left)

5. May 24, 2021 at 5:59 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    On a different vehicle I was unable to salvage any of the old 16 yr old exhaust pipes, muffler or CAT. The bolts+nuts morphed into rusty slag and had to be cut off. Ordered an aftermarket exhaust system from Rock Auto and it bolted together without any welding. If you don’t have any sensors post CAT then maybe your mod will work. 12454B6A-17B0-4D91-B75D-B6FAFFB16B05.jpg

6. Jun 5, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    Justanotherjeeper

Justanotherjeeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Wrangler 2 door
    paid cash for it.
    @gowenby2002 - removing your CAT will lessen the back pressure and strain on your engine, and probably increase its longevity. Its totally doable, let your conscience be your guide. However, it will be louder. To speak for the environment, which can't speak for itself, I would only say that its there for a reason, to keep the air we all breath a little cleaner. That's a good thing, and worthy of spending a few dollars on, irrespective of laws, inspections and regulations. It feels good doing the right thing and being part of the solution no matter how small an act that may entail. Whenever I'm behind someone driving an old beater vintage car, or a muscle car restored on the cheap, I hate breathing their fumes. Don't be that guy, please.

To Top