1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did the car dealership sell me a shoddy JKU?

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by Stweezie4x4, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2017 at 10:22 PM
    Stweezie4x4

Stweezie4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephanie
    Vehicle:
    Black Wrangler Sahara unlimited
    Lift kit, tires.
    Hi everyone! So, Saturday I was out and about running errands and I got in the Jeep to leave the grocery store and it wouldn't start. Turns out the starter went out... 10 DAYS after I bought it! I'm no mechanic, but, starters are Normally something that gradually go out, right? Well, the dealership replaced it, tried telling me I had to pay my $100 deductible for my warranty.. I told them I wasn't going to because I believed that it was a pre exitsting problem and they sold it to me that way... they didn't like that much, but, all of a sudden they said they were going to pay the deductible for me so it was $0 out of my pocket. Just got it back earlier today and now it's saying "change oil".. even tho my sticker on my windshield says I won't need one for 4K more miles.. and now my air bag light is on. Is it crazy for me to think they tampered with things just to be assholes?

2. Feb 14, 2017 at 3:51 AM
    boondoc89

boondoc89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Vehicle:
    08 JKU
    3 inch zone lift. Fox 2.0 shocks. 35 inch nitto ridge grapplers. Bushwacker flat fenders. No name steel bumpers front and back for now.
    Dealerships can be like that every now and then. If I remember right, there was a recall for the airbags on the 07-11 JK's. Maybe look into that. At least you got them to replace the starter at no cost to you. That would be a win in my book. I'm wondering if maybe they didn't reset the oil service light if/when they changed the oil. That's kind of tough to know if they actually changed it tho. What I would do is take it somewhere or DIY and change the oil (again). Then you know for sure that the oil is fresh. Best of luck with getting things straightened out!! Just holler if you need some help

aggrex, JKBob 25 and Stweezie4x4[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 14, 2017 at 6:12 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    Clock Spring is a common issue on those, as for the Change Oil light, they might not have properly reset it when they changed the oil .

aggrex, JKBob 25 and Stweezie4x4[OP] like this.
  4. Feb 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM
    Stweezie4x4

Stweezie4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephanie
    Vehicle:
    Black Wrangler Sahara unlimited
    Lift kit, tires.
    The oil change message wasn't popping up when I first bought it, just started too after I got it back after they replaced the starter. I checked the dipstick and the oil is still full. Maybe when they changed the starter then hit some wires? I thought it might be the clockspring also, but my horn still works.

5. Feb 14, 2017 at 8:01 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I believe your oil change light is set to go off about every 6000+/- a thousand depending on driving conditions. I think that is to long between intervals, and service stations still like to change your oil every 3000 or so. In order to be accurate you have to reset the light every oil change, but if it is not on the mechanics usually don't mess with it, therefore it can come on even if you recently had an oil change. Look at the oil. If the oil is dark on the dipstick it is old.

Shane72 and JKBob 25 like this.
  6. Mar 14, 2017 at 1:01 PM
    Jeeptrail

Jeeptrail Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Hubbardston MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Wrangler JK Rubicon, white
    Starter motors can fail without any warning or previous trouble. Also depends on what component is failing. Starter motor wire windings failing will go fast. You may get one time of cranking the engine as the windings are shorting out & heating up and burning out. Next time starting, motor won't work at all. If the solenoid is failing it may work a few times before it either burns out or wire windings shorting out gradually get too weak to mechanically engage the starter motor contacts. Either way, the entire starter motor gets replaced.

aggrex and Shane72 like this.
  7. Apr 8, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    K6puppy

K6puppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Arizonia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Jeep wrangler unlimited wellys wheeler Black
    xrc front bumper 12000 pound badlands winch 6 pod lights fender flares kc headlight 285/70/17 tires 2 inch leveling kit bushwhacker air snorkel k/N intake rough country duuel steering stabilizer kit
    oil change light caused by battery being disconnected for starter easy to reset info in owners manual air bag light may causes if you have codes I can helpI am a lead mechanic 22 years experience fell free to leave message with any problems I will be glad to help

8. May 4, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    o4petesake

o4petesake Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Stock '10 jk unlimited
    Fat mud tires
    I have a 2010 Wrangler unlimited and recently got a recall letter for my clockspring in my airbag,may not work if it gets dusty,so check with your dealer for a recall-repair.

9. May 4, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    K6puppy

K6puppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Arizonia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Jeep wrangler unlimited wellys wheeler Black
    xrc front bumper 12000 pound badlands winch 6 pod lights fender flares kc headlight 285/70/17 tires 2 inch leveling kit bushwhacker air snorkel k/N intake rough country duuel steering stabilizer kit
    That is all jeep we run all our vehicales for recalls also every vehcale is car faxed to show history. Not all dealer go extra steps

JKBob 25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top