1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Talon1025, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Nov 21, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    Talon1025

Talon1025 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    07 JK
    Nothing yet I'm first time owner as of NOV 2017
    2007 Wrangler X. I just purchased this jeep and it has a few minor things that i would like to address.
    1. When exiting the vehicle, the passenger door will turn on the dome light and shut the radio off. However, the drivers door will do neither of these things. Has anyone else encountered this?

2. There is a metric ton of air noise coming from the front two corners of the freedom top ( I feel there is more than should be ) . I ordered a foam kit to put on the panels and try to diminish it as possible.

3. As noted on another thread i have that "gascap" signal in the odometer window. I have a list of things to try from other threads.

4. i know this is not a bad thing, and its a simple. Im going to spend plenty of money on this bad boy and it is gonna be nice. All help is much appreciated.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  2. Nov 22, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    The door sensor might be shorted, or disconnected. I would start with that.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  3. Nov 22, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    93 XJ 2 door
    1. I would start with the door jamb switch, they are pretty cheap and shouldn't be hard to replace.

2. I have heard people also having trouble with the freedom panels leaking when it rains, if you haven't taken them off you might try to reseat them.

3. First step is to make sure the gas cap is tight, take it off, put it back on and turn the cap until it clicks 3 times. You might also clear the light and see if it comes back. Next step would be to replace the cap.

4. Welcome from Oklahoma.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. Nov 22, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    1. On my '16 upon exiting the jeep opening either door will turn on the dome light and shut off the radio as programmed. I can turn off the dome light function and extend the radio function when the key is removed. The driver side door switch is either defective or corroded or wire is broken or disconnected.
    2. Excessive wind noise makes me suspect either the freedom top is not installed or secured correctly or seals are dirty or defective or missing some sections. Take both freedom tops off to inspect the seals for integrity. Clean off debri and apply some rubber seal conditioner on all seals. Reinstall the freedom tops correctly and secure. If you have freedom top retaining screws use them but i's not necessary to overtighten them. Not familiar with the foam kit but any missing sections could be replaced with weather sealing materials found in home depot/lowes. If your getting excessive wind noise chances are you have water leaks too.
    3. Replace the gas cap if your getting CEL or at least click it down x3 after inspecting/cleaning the cap. Sometimes the CEL clears itself once run for a period of time with a new or cleaned / secured gas cap. Disconnecting the battery could clear up any false alarms.
    Keep us informed of your progress....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    JKBob 25 likes this.
  5. Nov 23, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    Talon1025

Talon1025 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    07 JK
    New question? I have not had time to put the Jeep in my shop to try these answers but I have decided to take a day and do as much as possible at one time. My new question is.... Dun dun dun. How hot should my heat get? I get warm air but fear that I'm losing it as typically I notice turning the heat down during a drive as it changes the interior temp. Mine will make it comfortable in the Jeep but using duck hunting as my example... "My buddy fell in while hunting, we are back to the truck and my truck isn't getting so hot I wanna stand outside and let him warm up!"
    I'm thinking something in the grill to thwart off some of the icy wind to let the engine get warmer air into the cab. Maybe I'm wrong about how it works. Thanks guys for the feed back I have my list. Thanks

6. Nov 23, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    I would check the Air temperature mixer. The Mixer Door might not be closing off all the cool air letting the hot air into the cab.

7. Nov 23, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    Talon1025

Talon1025 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    07 JK
    Guess I need a Haynes or Chilton on it.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  8. Nov 23, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Yeah dude. I always look at it this way. If I don't know how to did it. There is a book, and these days, a utube DIY video that will show me how. BUT......there is always the outside chance. My issue may be the first any one has come across. At that point....we all learn what the fix might be. Keep us posted dude.

9. Nov 23, 2017 at 8:01 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    JKBob 25 likes this.
To Top