1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Air Flow

Discussion in 'Performance & Tuning' started by 1HpyRider, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dec 16, 2016 at 9:20 AM
    1HpyRider

1HpyRider [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Wrangler Sport
    Factory stock as of now
    Question concerning air flow on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler engine. What should I do first to increase engine air flow, install a cat back muffler or high flow air system? I would like a little more HP and torque without breaking the bank. I purchased this Jeep with 17K miles on odometer and have no owner's manual to tell me the size of the engine. Is it a 3.8 or 3.6 liter. How can I tell the engine displacement?

2. Dec 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    You have the 3.8 as the 3.6 wasn't available before 2012. Headers and exhaust make a better difference than an intake. Depending on what level of modified state your jeep is in, such as tire size and lift, you might want to consider changing the gear ratio.

Rc Jeep likes this.
  3. Dec 18, 2016 at 8:20 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Chris is correct that have a 3.8L engine. Doing the just the breather will make a "small" amount more power than doing just the cat-back. (as we are talking about a cat-back system, headers are not an option. However, you will get no real performance differences unless you change both. And then you should reprogram for best results. Save up an extra month and just do both is my advice.

Personally, I would get a tuner as my first step. It will be required to properly adjust for the other things you mention and has the possibility to make the largest difference in your perceived power, "IF" you have an auto tranny. (some of the tuning changes make a bigger difference with the auto.) I suggest the Superchips tuner. I have had great results with one.

As for a manual:

Attached Files:

chris4x4 likes this.
  4. Dec 18, 2016 at 8:22 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Tell us more about your rig. It might help up offer better advice. (ie. Tire size/gear ratio/auto vs manual tranny?)
    oh...and :worthless:

5. Jun 29, 2020 at 12:06 AM
    Eyy-sp12

Eyy-sp12 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ5 with 304 and T-176
    T-176 Transmission with Dana 300

6. Jun 29, 2020 at 12:20 AM
    Eyy-sp12

Eyy-sp12 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    1977 CJ5 with 304 and T-176
    T-176 Transmission with Dana 300
    I have a 304 it's a very good motor . I got this Cj5 about 4 months back . I've been told you can't get significant gains in power . I don't see why not , everyone says get 360 . I dont know a lot about building a engine . I'm a great mechanic but have mainly repaired motors to stock . I was thinking of just some bolt on power . I would like to put a aggresive cam , I know I would need to match intake and carb . It currently has long tube headers and side pipes . How ever I've thought about running exhaust all the way back . I've got 35s that's going on it . Not sure of the gear in pumpkin. Haven't made it that far yet . I bought a t176 with D300. Took the t150 out . Do you have any suggestions on a good cam lift , intake , and carb . Any information is greatly appreciated .

To Top