1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Failure Rate of TPM

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by WOFIII, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Nov 19, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    WOFIII

WOFIII [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4-Door Wrangler Unlimited
    Question for the group. I just had 4 new tires installed by the dealership for JK 4 dr. A few weeks later, my Tire Pressure Warning light came on but with no indication as to which tires (we had a cold snap which I know impacts tire pressure). The Service Dept is now telling me all 4 TPMs have failed at the same time. Is this even possible? Could this go back to installer error when tires were installed (during warmer weather)? Seems to me that such a simultaneous fail rate would be highly improbable. Appreciate any ideas.

2. Nov 19, 2019 at 4:41 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    Welcome to the forum @WOFIII .
    Highly unlikely all 4 went at once. The time of year, weather, shouldn't have any effect on their failure. If in fact they failed.

3. Nov 19, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>
    Possible but not likely for all 4 TPMS to fail together. Colder temps can have some affect on tire pressures and has triggered the TPMS in my vehicles. Found the tire pressure a tad low and after adding some air to my specs the TPMS remained off all winter. Get a reliable tire pressure gauge and adjust to specs. If the TPMs were damaged by the tire shop it would have triggered the warning light right away. Also some TPM batteries may only last 5-10 years....but odds of all 4 failing is quite low.

JKBob 25 likes this.
  4. Nov 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    JKBob 25

JKBob 25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 JK Wrangler Sport
    As @aggrex mentioned. Temp changes will effect tire pressure and could trigger TPMs. My bad for not mentioning as I've been f'ing with mine here on the east coast. One day it's 25 the next 55.

aggrex likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top