1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flat Towing

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by Miniac, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Mar 13, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    Miniac

Miniac [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited
    Hi, I just purchased a 2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, and I am looking for the best set up to flat tow behind a motorhome. I would like to have a set up that doesn't require major modifications to the Jeep. Is there a setup that doesn't require removing the front bumper?
    What is the best supplemental braking system that doesnt require an engineering degree to figure out. I was at an RV dealer today and the setup they want to sell me would cost me $4000, not in the budget!!

2. Mar 14, 2017 at 7:29 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    welcome! I'm no help on flat towing, but hopefully someone else can help.

3. Mar 14, 2017 at 8:04 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    That sounds expensive to me. For a good tow setup the Blue Ox kit runs $1300. Then the install. Read your owners manual about what needs to be done to the jeep for flat tow.

I only flat tow my CJ short distances (90 miles) to the trails and back. I have a poor mans tow set up. harbor freight tow bar $60, harbour freight magnetic led tow lights 20 and put my Tcase in neutral. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to disconnect my rear driveshaft also, but it's only 90 miles. The harbour freight tow bar says don't exceed 55mph, but I've done 70 with it with no problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top