1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end rattle

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by DaveSR, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jan 19, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    DaveSR

DaveSR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Rubicon
    Has anyone had any low frequency rattles or "rumbles" at very low speeds that seem to be from the front end? Sounds like a loose shock or strut. Had it to a dealer and they heard nothing. Is this normal? I feel nothing in the steering.
    Thanks!

2. Jan 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine Moderator

Member:
    I had the same thing, and never worried about it. After installing the lift, and new track bar, it disabeard, so it may have been the track bar bushings.

3. Jan 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    That is kind of an open question, Dave. These are Jeeps and they rattle and moan and rumble all the time. lol However, just the Rubicon tires can cause a low-speed noise that resembles your description. Find a spot and drive in the grass (will quiet the tires) and see if you still hear it.

4. Jan 20, 2017 at 4:03 AM
    DaveSR

DaveSR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Rubicon
    Thanks. It sounds like a loose shock or strut bushing. My local dealer said he heard nothing. It only has 9000 miles. Time to get the rubber mallet out and try to find something abnormal.

5. Jan 20, 2017 at 7:34 AM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Always possible Dave. Usually, those tend to have a definite thump and are more pronounced at higher rather than lower speeds. Maybe we just don't use the same descriptions for sounds. (put flashbacks from old Midas commercials here) But they are easy to check anyway. I will pass along something I have learned over time...I have spent some amount of time looking for a rattle (more than once too) which CLEARLY sounded to be coming from the front end. Only I have found it was something rubbing on a seat post (twice, or it was something in the back and the sound traveled) Sounds travel and often are not coming from where it seems when sitting in the vehicle. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Other than that, have you made any modifications to your rig yet? Lift, tires, shocks, from bumper,...etc?

Good Luck!

6. Jan 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    DaveSR

DaveSR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Rubicon
    Good point. Next I will look at the rear shocks as I had a similar noise from a Mustang years ago and I traced it to a loose rear shock mount. Very simple fix. Since the jeep is so short it certainly could be emanating from anywhere down below.

7. Feb 8, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    DaveSR

DaveSR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Rubicon
    I finally found the rattle. The left front plastic fender liner was not being supported by a screw that was improperly installed - screw broken - allowing the liner to sag and bump the frame. That took a long time to locate, but I got it!

chris4x4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top