1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel pump issue

Discussion in 'Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)' started by Dobe0918, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Mar 13, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    Dobe0918

Dobe0918 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    1994 wrangler YJ 2.5L 4cyl auto
    Mostly stock
    Hi all...name is Jeff...I have been working on repairing/replacing things on my 1994 YJ in my garage for about 4-5 years...literally has been off the road on jack stands and garaged. I am really close now and have run into an issue. Hope you can help. One of those repairs was a leaking gas tank. I dropped it and replaced with a new one and kept the same fuel pump. All clean all back together nicely, hoses were labeled. Recently, I Installed a new battery and turned the key to confirm that I could hear the fuel pump kick on and it did...I was happy about that. I cranked the Jeep after YEARS of not running and it started right up and ran super smooth...I ran it for about 3-5 minutes with no issues. I shut the key off motor shut off smoothly. I immediately turned the key to see if it would restart easily....NO FUEL PUMP....no noise...can’t hear it click on for those two priming seconds...crank and cranks...obviously no fuel....WTH happened???...I have already tried swapping relays aka horn for fuel pump, horn for auto shut down...all seem to be working because the horn blows with all of them....no fuel pump...What am I missing?...another fuse?... an a fuel pump just die like that after running great for 5 minutes...seems so unlikely and like it should be a simple something going on. I am a 50 year old man and have built motors and cars, but not a jeep. I have what I would consider 7or 8/10 knowledge around vehicles and engines....this one is getting me...I have read many stories about replacing a fuel pump to no avail...want to avoid that as dropping the tank is a real bitch project....AGAIN!...haha...can someone please help?...I would be appreciative...Thank you all in advance, glad to be part of the group

2. Mar 14, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    Jim Beam

Jim Beam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle:
    1986 CJ7
    Fuel Injection, Dana 44s, T18, 4.10s w/lockers
    O.K. so when you turn the ignition key on and you can't hear the fuel pump prime, I would suggest checking to see if there is that two seconds of twelve volts going to the fuel pump. And then go from there either to a bad fuel pump or why there is no voltage going to it. What some guys do to easily access the fuel pump is to put a door right above where the pump is located in the bed of the Jeep. That way you don't have to remove the tank or drain the fuel to remove the pump.

To Top