1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard or soft top

Discussion in 'Wrangler JK (2007-2017)' started by tomrr, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Mar 5, 2020 at 4:44 AM
    tomrr

tomrr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2012 Wrangler JK
    Still looking at 2012/2014 JK 2-Door Wranglers , I would prefer a hardtop, any good or bad opinions on either one ?
    Thanks Tom C.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  2. Mar 8, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    o|||||||o

o|||||||o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    JK
    A few.
    I think it’s about what you prefer.

I love my soft top. I own a JK 2012

tomrr[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    aggrex

aggrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    DE
    Vehicle:
    Backcountry '16
    Tuffy>AEV>TTO>JW>STech>EVOcage>MagnaFlow>SpiderTrax>RockHard>TF>SpringTail>67design>Bolt>GPCA>Curt>

Hard tops can't be beat for the everyday monsoon or heavy snow storms. Not super heavy but awkward for one to lift off but doable with a friend. Soft tops offer the ultimate freedom but the snaps/zips and durability over time can vary. Best to have both or just pull the drain plugs and fogetabout it lol

4. Mar 11, 2020 at 3:36 AM
    Jeep4Life

Jeep4Life Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
    I have had both:
    ‘98 2-door with soft top. Sold it few years ago. It was always noisy from inside the cabin but loved putting the soft top down In the summer. never had a leak problem but it can be an issue as many soft tops are more prone to leak. Mine did start tearing at some of the zip ups at one point and I did have to swap it out for new one which cost a few hundred bucks. If you end up getting soft just plan on possibly having to change it out if you have the Jeep for 5yrs plus.

Currently my ‘12 4-door with hard top. The hard top makes the cabin a lot quieter which is a plus if you have kids. Also, I did have a leak issue at one point but was able to patch it up for less then $10 with window seal as opposed to having to fork over a few hundred bucks like I did my soft top in past. Hard top also keeps the cabin warmer in the winter more then soft top did. I can also still remove part of the hard top as a sunroof over the driver/passenger without having to take the whole hard top off.

hard tops are more expensive if you getting up front and soft definitely cheaper if your not looking to spend too much now but may have to still spend some to get it replaced if you keep it long. Just depends on your situation and how long you plan to keep it before swapping for another Jeep.

tomrr[OP] and aggrex like this.
  5. Mar 12, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    LYFZGOOD

LYFZGOOD members

Member:
    Wv
    Vehicle:
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    2.5” lift 32x11.50x15,cold air intake, Smittybuilt stainless steel Bumpers, rough county pocket flares,Rugged ridge seat covers and floor mats. Conversion LED headlights 20’ LED Light bar hardtop,soft top,bikini top.
    I have all three and for the right time of year they are all great.

tomrr[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top