1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard top conversion

Discussion in 'Wrangler TJ (1996-2006)' started by Deanna.M, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Oct 10, 2016 at 11:17 AM
    Deanna.M

Deanna.M [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deanna
    Vehicle:
    2003 Wrangler X
    hi I have a 2003 wrangler TJ I was looking into getting a hard top for the winter someone in my area is selling a hard top from their YJ is there anyway that it would fit on my jeep and if so how difficult is the process

Thank you!

2. Oct 10, 2016 at 12:50 PM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    I found this at another site, "I have a YJ hardtop sitting in my garage that I tried on my TJ. It fits perfectly. You have to drill new holes in the hard top because they do not line up with the holes in the rear sides. Also once you take the tj windsheild seal off it fits almost perfectly. Theres a tad bit of a gap between the front top of the doors and the top but only about a half inch. So it will fit with some minimal modifications." I also found several references to noticeable gaps. If it were me, I'd keep looking for a TJ top.

Bob likes this.
  3. Oct 10, 2016 at 2:38 PM
    Deanna.M

Deanna.M [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deanna
    Vehicle:
    2003 Wrangler X
    I eventually do want to get a tj hard top but we're suppose to have a bad winter so I was trying to get a top soon and I don't have the crazy amount of money for a hard top at the moment so someone in the area is selling a yj top I was going to try that. Now if I take the windshield seal off how does that effect my soft top?

4. Oct 11, 2016 at 5:55 AM
    OFFGRID

OFFGRID Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1979 Jeep CJ7, 258, TH350, NP208
    Howell fuel injection, header, HEI distributor, TH350, NP208, SOA lift with YJ springs in the front & GW springs in the Rear. AMC20 with G2 1 piece chromos trussed, Dana 30 with G2 chromos and 760x ujoints and MM Stainless Hubs, Geared 4.56. Tom Woods shafts, Metal cloaks, Caged, 37" Toyo MTs.
    Hard top guys chime in here. The softtop and mounting hardware for the softtop will have to be removed. The hard top will sit flush on the body. There is a seal/latching bracket for the soft top on top of the windshield that has to be removed (maybe 4 or 6 screws) in order for the hard top to rest flush on the windshield. I have only helped with a hard top once. It bolts down to the body in back, but I don't remember how it attaches to the windshield.

To Top