1. Welcome to Jeeps.net!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Jeep discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Jeep owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head Gasket?

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by Hammer0118, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Oct 30, 2016 at 4:30 PM
    Hammer0118

Hammer0118 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deena
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2000 white Wrangler SE
    I bought my 2000 Jeep Wrangler two weeks ago from a mechanic that claimed to have rebuilt the engine with new pistons, head gasket, new transmission, clutch etc. Yesterday the hose popped off the radiator but I didn't realize it until I started feeling faint from breathing in coolant. By the time I pulled over the entire system had drained. I replaced the hose clamp and correctly refilled my coolant, but as soon as I replace the radiator cap pressure it creates more violent air bubbles in the system. (I also noticed oil like sludge near the opening but this may have been from dirty hands when someone was working on it?)
    My thoughts are that my head gasket is blown. Has anyone had similar issues?
    My boyfriend has replaced his head gasket twice before so I'm curious if we should skip the shop and do it at home or should I have the entire thing checked and tuned up?
    Any advice would help
    Thanks

2. Oct 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM
    C2T

C2T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Helena, Montana
    Vehicle:
    Jeep
    2.5" AEV Dual Sport lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Black Rock Wheels, AEV Front & Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Fuel Caddy 10 gal. Aux. fuel tank, Warn 9.5ti, 125' synthetic winch line, front axle skid, 20" LED light bar , Bilstein Shocks, steel steering skidplate,
    Remember, after a hot drain like you experienced, the system will need to clear more air pockets in the cooling system than a cold drain. May not be your issue but something to consider before pulling the head is just "burping" it well.

A tiny amount of oil just after a rebuild is not a big thing to me...but if it keeps getting worse then worry. Look for water in the oil, oil in the water, fuel in the oil or water.

Assuming the straight 6 engine (you don't say)...the head gasket is not something I would consider hard for a decent mechanic. However, if you got it really hot when it drained you could have cracked the head or block. Not a pretty thought.

Good luck with it Deena.

To Top